XR30 G5/G6 folks - I’m not complaining

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I sent my XR30 G5 in to be serviced outside of warranty. I’ve been struggling to get it to copy my light scheme from my other light. As I was toggling in the MXM interface, I discovered that one light has a different count of colors. One has cool and warm and the other doesn’t. I went over to Mobius and deleted the light that came back from being serviced. When I reinstalled the light, I noticed it now says it is a G6. I guess I didn’t realize I was moving into the G6. I have also have a reefer 250 that has a single XR30G5 on it. Before I go and blow up all my lighting essentially, I’m not missing anything here am I?

IMG_2125.png

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the serial # on the light that you sent out the same one that was returned to you?

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe these guys have upgraded your g5 to a g6?
You could open it and check the platine, there should be a sticker if its the g6 or the g5 platine..

well, g5 blue has lime/cyan and g6 blue has no lime cyan diodes.

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Maybe these guys have upgraded your g5 to a g6?
You could open it and check the platine, there should be a sticker if its the g6 or the g5 platine..

well, g5 blue has lime/cyan and g6 blue has no lime cyan diodes.

It’s a G6 for sure, the color selections are different then compared to my existing G5. I’ll need to check on the serial number. I’m going to par the tank tonight and see how the spread change has impacted things. I swamped my lights around last night, and being that the lighting is slightly different now on the reefer, where I took the existing XR30 G5 Blue and replaced it with the G6 Blue. Putting that G5 with the other G5 worked seamlessly. I put the reefer on a 5 day acclimation cycle from75% to 100% over 5 days.

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Does Radion still make/sell the gen 5 anymore?
When I was contacted and told what was going to be done and for how much (very different then the upgrade option), I was told there were plenty of G5 parts still available in order to services lights. Which is why this was a pleasant surprise, but had I not had a second tank with a single G5, I’m not sure if I would have been forced to upgrade the other light. What this does do though is, in the back of my mind I thought eventually I would put all 3 G5s on the Max 500, but now I may have to rethink that. First world problems… I know.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 178 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back