Yasha Goby Changing Sex?

60CubeReefer

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 25, 2017
Messages
206
Reaction score
190
Location
Tustin
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of Yasha gobies that were sold to me as a bonded pair. In QT, the bigger one showed aggression to the smaller one, and over time, the smaller one devel0ped a spot on its pelvic fin (the larger one has a much darker spot). So, it appears that I have two males. However, after separating the two, the dark spot on the smaller one has gone away, and now its pelvic fin does not have a spot at all.

I believe some species of gobies are able to change their sex. Are Yasha gobies able to do this? Is it possible that the smaller Yasha has actually changed from male to female?
 
I don't know about Yasha gobies, but I had a bonded M/F pair of yellow watchmen gobies. When I lost the male, the female transitioned slowly to a male. That is if you go by the gender identification opinion that YWG females- gray/males - yellow. My former gray YWG slowly changed color & is now bright yellow.
 
Small, site-oriented fish are much more fluid in their ability to change gender.
 
Does this mean that Yasha gobies are likely to be able to change sex?
 
I believe so, but not 100% certain.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW LONG HAVE YOU PERSONALLY KEPT YOUR LONGEST-SERVING CURRENT RESIDENT?

  • Under 1 year

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 to under 3 years

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 3 to under 5 years

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 5 to under 10 years

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • 10 to under 20 years

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 20+ years

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I’ve lost track

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new