Yasha goby pairing questions

Justin Teufel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow reefers,

Recently I have gotten 2 Yasha gobies, separately from 2 different places. I have heard that that one way to tell between male and female is that the male has a black spot on it’s fin and the female does not. I am keeping one Yasha in a holding tank away from the other one just in case. The other one is currently paired up with my candy stripe pistol shrimp in a burrow. I don’t know if two females are allowed to be together or if I should even try to see if I can introduce them. I have also heard that many gobies can change their sex, but I am not entirely sure of this particular species. Any information/help would be appreciated! Thanks!!

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should be fine together. I just got a male & female, they were indifferent tanks But paired right up. Hope yours are doing ok.

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think Yashas change sex like clowns can. The male has a dark dot on his lower fin (bottom) and the female doesn’t. Coral magazine just did almost a whole issue on gobies. If you can find it very informative.

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the best pics.
IMG_6407.jpg
IMG_6409.jpg

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck wi†h finding one, they seemed to be no where. Sign up on all the websites to be notified when they are available. I did that & was able to get 2 of the shrimp.

Ricksreeefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck wi†h finding one, they seemed to be no where. Sign up on all the websites to be notified when they are available. I did that & was able to get 2 of the shrimp.
Nice I just finally found my yasha after searching for so long.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Do you know where can I get a candy cane pistal though?
That was tough for me. They were in stock in LiveAquaria a few months back, but when I went to place my order they ran out. They are commonly sold already paired with gobies. I wound up just settling for a tiger pistol. They're a little more destructive and larger but are good with big gobies. I did initially want a stonogobiops, but like candy cane pistols, they seem to be out of stock most of the time.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Definitely hard to find. I've added myself to lists everywhere in an effort to get a shrimp for my yashas but not luck yet. Tigers I can find, but candy canes are elusive!

Ricksreeefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was tough for me. They were in stock in LiveAquaria a few months back, but when I went to place my order they ran out. They are commonly sold already paired with gobies. I wound up just settling for a tiger pistol. They're a little more destructive and larger but are good with big gobies. I did initially want a stonogobiops, but like candy cane pistols, they seem to be out of stock most of the time.
Yeah I’m probably gonna have to wait a while either to find a candy cane or just to let the yasha get big enough to be paired with a tiger because right now he’s half the size of my pinky.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gobies are a very mixed batch when it come to sex change. Some can change both ways as needed, some can change in one direction, and quite a few don't change sex at all.
My observations with Stonogobiops species (yasha, nematodes, dracula) indicate that they fall into the latter category - not sex change.

Back