Year old GSP colony closed up

spearo0352

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been letting some gsp cover the back of my tank for the last year and it has been growing really well. For the last 4 days it has completely closed and not a single polyp has been open. I do bi weekly water changes and changed my carbon out. All my sps/lps/anemones seem to be doing fine. Parameters have been stable for as long as I can remember. Is this something to be worried about or should I give it a few more days before I start getting concerned? Its just a bit alarming seeing nothing but purple on my back panel.
sal 1.025
temp 78 F
ph 8.3
cal-430
alk- 10dKH
nitrate- 3ppm
nitrite-0
ammonia-0
phosphate- .03

Last edited:

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The water might be too clean...especially if you just changed the carbon. GSP likes water that has nutrients that it can use to grow.

OP
OP
S

spearo0352

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water might be too clean...especially if you just changed the carbon. GSP likes water that has nutrients that it can use to grow.
Thanks for the quick reply. I have kept the same parameters for a very long time and I do target feed all my corals 1-2x per week. Their growth was exploding under the same parameters they are under now.

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Whatever you changed recently is more than likely the cause for it...something has changed, you just have to figure out what it is.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 146 74.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back