Yellow and Powder Blue Tang compatibility.

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m upgrading my tank to a 130 gal display and will be transferring my 7“ PBT into it. What are the chances of me being able to successfully keep a 2-3” Yellow if I add it before or simultaneousl? My thinking is, different species, new unfamiliar tank, smaller fish not a threat to his new kingdom!

h20cyclone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are both and new to the tank and have areas in the tank designed to break the view of each other then I would lead to think it would be fine. Have had pairings of tangs that would normally not be suggested by most that have worked out just fine. Always just have a backup plan if things to workout.

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one yellow Tang that was established in DT and later introduced a larger PB Tang and all is good.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are both and new to the tank and have areas in the tank designed to break the view of each other then I would lead to think it would be fine. Have had pairings of tangs that would normally not be suggested by most that have worked out just fine. Always just have a backup plan if things to workout.
There’s 100 lbs of rock so plenty of hiding places.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’m upgrading my tank to a 130 gal display and will be transferring my 7“ PBT into it. What are the chances of me being able to successfully keep a 2-3” Yellow if I add it before or simultaneousl? My thinking is, different species, new unfamiliar tank, smaller fish not a threat to his new kingdom!
No issues here - 6 yellows and PBT

1660080438226.png

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I introduced my powder blue last. I used an acclimation box for 3 days. The yellow Tang was the only one to try to fight him though the box. After a day or so, he stopped. Once I released him, I then put mirrors up along the tank for another 3 days. None of my other tangs gave him any notice. For a few months after, the yellow and the powder blue would occasionally chase one another, but it wouldn't last. Eventually the powder blue tried to become the tank boss and started chasing around some of my other tangs and my foxface. Overall though, they all got along reasonably well.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I introduced my powder blue last. I used an acclimation box for 3 days. The yellow Tang was the only one to try to fight him though the box. After a day or so, he stopped. Once I released him, I then put mirrors up along the tank for another 3 days. None of my other tangs gave him any notice. For a few months after, the yellow and the powder blue would occasionally chase one another, but it wouldn't last. Eventually the powder blue tried to become the tank boss and started chasing around some of my other tangs and my foxface. Overall though, they all got along reasonably well.
When you say, “ mirrors up along the tank “, how large are we talking about?

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say, “ mirrors up along the tank “, how large are we talking about?
I have a 7ft long 260g tank. I put small make up mirrors on the sides and one big mirror (like the kind you put in your closet) along the front. Probably overkill, but I wasn't taking any chances.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back