Yellow and purple tang in 190 (Red Sea 3XL 900)

aurora.k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there are tons of threads on tang compatibility but in an abundance of caution, would like opinions on whether I can have a purple tang and yellow tang in my new Red Sea 3XL 900 (190 display). Plan is to add them at the same time and last: (1) peaceful fish have will be added first and (2) my Pygmy angels and hawk fish are added as they are kind of jerks, and (3) then add both tangs last

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I’m no expert- but if you add them at the same time together I think you should be good to go. I like to add all tangs at the same time- seems to really cut down on aggressive behavior. Good luck! Post some photos or better yet a build thread. lol. Would live to see your set up

Speaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this with a yellow and bristletooth a couple months ago in a 750xxl. No issues. I moved them to a 20gal qt tank after a month and still no aggression issues. In both tanks they hang out and swim with one another. They are both close to the same size as well.

Attachments

• 20201111_123456.jpg
    20201111_123456.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 71

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a purple and yellow tang added to a 120 and no issues. I have 3 yellows and 2 purples and 1 sailfin in a 300 along with 2 blues, a bristletooth and an achilles tang in a 300. The key, IMO, is good feeding, waterflow and not feeding in one spot so no territories to defend.

OP
OP
aurora.k

aurora.k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a purple and yellow tang added to a 120 and no issues. I have 3 yellows and 2 purples and 1 sailfin in a 300 along with 2 blues, a bristletooth and an achilles tang in a 300. The key, IMO, is good feeding, waterflow and not feeding in one spot so no territories to defend.
Great tip on feeding, thanks!

kingjoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there are tons of threads on tang compatibility but in an abundance of caution, would like opinions on whether I can have a purple tang and yellow tang in my new Red Sea 3XL 900 (190 display). Plan is to add them at the same time and last: (1) peaceful fish have will be added first and (2) my Pygmy angels and hawk fish are added as they are kind of jerks, and (3) then add both tangs last
They should be fine. Two zebrasomas in a tank of that size should be able to work out territory/aggression issues with little to no bloodshed. As with all tangs, there is always a chance that one will go after the other with a bloody vengeance, but the greater likelihood is that both will turn out to be middle of the aggression spectrum for tangs and they will coexist without problems. As a few extras to keep them happy, make sure you have plenty of flow and high oxygenation in the tank, create enough spaces in the rock work to ensure each can establish its own place to bed down at night, and feed them lots and lots of seaweed. You may want to get two seaweed feeders and alternate them, so each feeding can get an overnight soak with additives like Zoe and Selcon, which is a great way to help keep them healthy. And, your choosing to add them together and at the end of your stocking order is a good idea; I'm planning to do the same in my tank.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to know! Im currently upgrading a 90g w/ a yellow tang to a RS 900, and my wife really wants a purple tang. Glad to see its worked out with enough precautions!
In case you wanted an extra tip, it will be easier if you add another tang or two, so that they aren't the only two in the tank.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 190 it should be OK. It help to have. A large mirror1’x2’ to tape to the front of the tank if there is any aggression. This often really distracted the aggressive fish almost all the time to allow the weaker, newer fish to settle in.
Purple tangs are slightly more aggressive than Yellow tangs so the Purple should go in last.
I love Purple and Yellow tangs so always have one of each in my (larger) tanks. I always have a PBT also.

just notice that this is an old thread. How did it go?

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a pretty big tank for just those two tangs, you should be ok.

If you can, introduce them at the same time to reduce aggression.

Adding them separate can be done, but is sometimes more difficult. I added a purple to my well established 180 that has an XL hippo and a large yellow, the purple was much smaller. There was some skirmishes the first night, but things calmed down quickly. I still get the occasional skirmish if I don't feed enough.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back