Tang compatibility

jkcoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a decade old 120 gallon, predominantly SPS and Zoa, tank with one each of fully grown yellow and Kole tang. I recently upgraded to a 180 gallon and would like to add a Blue Hippo and a Powder blue tang when I move the Yellow and Kole to the 180. Anyone see any issues with compatibility? What about adding a purple tang? Any tips, tricks, or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd skip the Powder Blue for aggression reasons. Also my Blue Hippo was a PITA and aggressive, had to rehome. That was with 10 tangs or so.

Got for a Yellow or Gem.

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a PB, Purple, Yellow, and SF and these things are thick as thieves. They all swim and hang with each other all the time. They follow each other and graze together ...... but it wasn't always like this.

Before I added the SF tang the others were already together and everything was great. They had been together for almost 6 years. The PB went nuts on it right away. So bad I netted the PB and took it to my frag tank which is the same water.

The other 2 were picking on the SF by the time I got back upstairs. Not biting just really messing with it. I immediately put a mirror on the tank and it began to work but they were still weary of the SF. All 3 and several other fish were beating up on their reflections though. I added another mirror to the other side. After a few days all the aggression towards the SF was gone. After a week I took off the mirrors and zero problems.

The PB stayed in the frag tank for 4 months because it was way over the top with aggression towards the SF. I used an acclimation box to reintroduce it. Left in the box for a week.

All is great now.

Why I think it worked. I think once they learn that the other fish are not the same as they are they leave each other alone. Also I think when they learn the others are no threat they relax.

It's been very peaceful for 5 months now.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back