Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse skin disease?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For cloudy water, nothing is as effective as a small cheap UV. The cheap $20 ones. Plug in and within a 1-3 days your cloudy water is gone. Then unplug till need again. This and dinos are probably the only thing i would suggest them for [emoji23].

About iodine
Iodine is safe and relatively effective(no treatment is effective against every bacteria), my reluctance to using it is because its in tank usage(which lasse is not suggesting), dosage is heavily dependent on the amount of organics in the water. Heavy doc tanks the dosage will near the LDs50. I do use iodine for certain corals as a dip for antiseptic properties, about the only useful treatment for lps diseases.

You can also use Neosporin on fish in a similar way. Only the regular kind, i have no idea what may be in the more expensive, faster healing varieties, paper towel and a small dab. same active ingredient in neoplex. Have used on koi a few times when they were attacked by fauna.

OP
OP
TedsReef

TedsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. The wrasse has been doing well in the DT for several weeks now. However, about 3-4 days ago I noticed a pale spot on his scales. He was still eating but a little more shy than usual. Today I found him at the bottom, barely breathing and not doing well. Any ideas based on the pic?

f6c91317513978cfdaa9e1ebd8b8b04c.jpg

OP
OP
TedsReef

TedsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could he have gotten beaten up by my tail spot blenny? I'm noticing him being very territorial towards my starry blenny today and it looks like the starry has a mark.

lizzyann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your possum wrasse still alive? Figure anything out about what the problem may be? I just posted about mine having similar white patches, though not with any growths like in one of your earlier photos, and another poster just started a thread about similar issues as well with their yellow banded possum wrasse. I wonder if the light patches are just a common stress response in these fish to any kind of illness or injury? Or maybe a similar thing is going on with all of them?

OP
OP
TedsReef

TedsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your possum wrasse still alive? Figure anything out about what the problem may be? I just posted about mine having similar white patches, though not with any growths like in one of your earlier photos, and another poster just started a thread about similar issues as well with their yellow banded possum wrasse. I wonder if the light patches are just a common stress response in these fish to any kind of illness or injury? Or maybe a similar thing is going on with all of them?

Unfortunately it didn’t make it through the night in QT. I observed my Tail Spot Blenny harassing my starry blenny so I think the markings were injuries. His gills on his right side looked pretty beat up. My thoughts are he was injured and either they killed him directly or a subsequent infection set in. My starry blenny has the markings on him as well. I’m going to hope it’s an injury and keep observing. I caught the tail spot and put him in a breeder box within the tank - so if he’s the culprit the starry should be okay.

I did some research and it seemed pretty common for possum wrasses to get skin injuries since they sleep in rocks. I’d keep your wrasse under observation and if the spots increase in size or get puffy looking I’d QT and treat for bacterial and fungal. I used Seachem ParaGuard for the marks in the previous post while he was in QT. Still not sure if any of it was an infection or disease as it was showing no other symptoms.

Last edited:

lizzyann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for getting back to me. I'm sorry your possum wrasse didn't make it . Interesting though, hopefully the tail spot was the problem and everyone else will be ok!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back