Yellow Candy Hogfish

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I've been seeing mixed things regarding Yellow Candy Hogfish. On LA, they are said to fit in a 30 gallon (which I would be putting it into). This sounds perfect, but I have read that they are aggressive towards wrasses. This fish will be the last fish in my 30 gallon (stocking listed below). Can anyone tell me about it? I'd like to hear from people with personal experience, but I am open to hear anything and everything!

Royal Gramma (small-medium)
Two Wyoming White (occelaris) clownfish (both small but growing quickly)
Ornate Leopard Wrasse (small)
Dusky Jawfish
Neon Goby
Pajama Cardinal
Peppermint shrimp
Blood shrimp

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're taking any and all advice, I wouldn't recommend the leopard wrasse for a 30 gallon.

OP
OP
EvanDeVita

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're taking any and all advice, I wouldn't recommend the leopard wrasse for a 30 gallon.
I appreciated the advice! I bought a very small and young Leopard Wrasse. Because of their extremely slow growth rate, my LFS and I decided I could keep the fish in my 30 long for at least a year until it outgrew the tank. It is not a permanent resident.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a yellow hogfish some years ago. Got over 4". Far too large for a 30 IMO. Probably will harass your leopard.

rhdoug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a small one and had him for a year. I have a 21 year old, 58 gallon mixed reef with mosty small fish. This fish turned into a terror after a few months and I eventually trapped him. He attacked almost all the fish in the tank except the scopas tang. He would be fine and then would suddenly dart at the other fish to the point the other fish were constantly in hiding. Worst fish I ever owned and I wouldn't have bought him, but both me and the shop owner thought he was a wrasse of some kind. Pretty but not worth it.

OP
OP
EvanDeVita

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a small one and had him for a year. I have a 21 year old, 58 gallon mixed reef with mosty small fish. This fish turned into a terror after a few months and I eventually trapped him. He attacked almost all the fish in the tank except the scopas tang. He would be fine and then would suddenly dart at the other fish to the point the other fish were constantly in hiding. Worst fish I ever owned and I wouldn't have bought him, but both me and the shop owner thought he was a wrasse of some kind. Pretty but not worth it.
Thanks, ill prob stay away

Back