Yellow Coris and Red Velvet in DT after 65 days. Is this another issue?

K9Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had velvet outbreak and lost most of my fish. Fish went into 35 days of Copper (2.25-2.50) then another 30 days of observation. The remaining fish (yellow coris, Red Velvet, Lawnmower and Coral Beauty) never showed any signs or symptoms. The yellow coris, Red velvet and Lawnmower were added back to DT two days ago. The Red velvet does pick on the YC every once in a while. The YC has started the odd behavior of swimming at the top actually breaking the water surface. everyone is eating fine and parameters are are normal. No inverts were added during DT 65 day fallow period. Any thoughts on this?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I had to watch video a couple of times as fish and tank has nice color.
Im not seeing signs or symptoms of velvet however not ruling it out. As the fish have gone through copper treatment already, instead of going through the pain of quarantining all over again, you can safely add ruby Rally pro which is reef safe and will address bacterial, velvet and flukes if any are present and can be treated in tank. Add aeration if doing this and monitor water quality mainly ammonia levels and test with reliable test kit(s)
With YCW, it can also be intimidation from velvet wrasse causing the behavior

OP
OP
K

K9Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to watch video a couple of times as fish and tank has nice color.
Im not seeing signs or symptoms of velvet however not ruling it out. As the fish have gone through copper treatment already, instead of going through the pain of quarantining all over again, you can safely add ruby Rally pro which is reef safe and will address bacterial, velvet and flukes if any are present and can be treated in tank. Add aeration if doing this and monitor water quality mainly ammonia levels and test with reliable test kit(s)
With YCW, it can also be intimidation from velvet wrasse causing the behavior

I‘m really wondering if it’s not just stress. The behavior lasted approx 1 hour and has now stopped. The Red Velvet seems to be pestering the YC just enough to keep him concerned. The YC is trying to hunt the lower rocks and the RV is not allowing it. These two never had issues in the past but since it’s just the two of them along with the lawnmower I’m wondering if he‘s just an easy target. Early on I did try and add another fairy wrasse and this RV almost killed it in minutes. I’m contemplating trying to catch the RV and re home it. It’s going to be another 35 days for new fish to finish QT to spread any aggression. Thoughts?

OP
OP
K

K9Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to trap the RV and he’s not happy, very aggressive in the acclimation box and he will be re homed today. The YC seems already to have relaxed and is hunting the bottom and rocks. I’m going to keep an eye on him and if this continues i think he‘s fine. Thanks again for all your help. You were a major help surviving the velvet outbreak.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back