Yellow Coris wrasses

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added a yellow coris wrasse to my tank, I’ve not seen him since. How long can they stay hidden in the sand?
Also I read they can eat shrimp and wonder if my cleaner shrimp is almost twice the wrasses size now does he stand a better chance of not being eaten when the wrasse gets bigger
Are there compatible wrasses that don’t eat cleaner and pistol shrimp

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do like to hide in the sand but how long ago did you see it?

With regards to eating shrimp this is possible, it is a wrasse. However cleaner shrimp get a pass from almost anything, like Triggers, Puffers and wrasses. Piston shrimp though would become a nice snack if they can catch it.

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a 3-4 days although I can’t watch it 24/7 and there’s lots of places to hide.
The pistol hangs out with a watchman goby so hopefully the goby will protect his buddy

Blindface

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wrasse has stayed hidden for 2 weeks before (or at least to me knowledge) I wouldn’t worry. Once they get comfy in their environment they’ll come out more often

stovenut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Yellow Coris Wrasse can definitely hide in the sand for a few days. They are also prolific jumpers so look for him behind the tank as well. And if you do eventually find him alive and well, you would be wise to add a screen top to keep him swimming safely and not carpet surfing.

jetor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our Yellow Coris Wrasse leaves the cleaner shrimp and pistol shrimp (guarded by a large goby) alone. Its a large tank so that may help.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine comes out every day like clockwork for feeding, so I wouldn't necessarily worry about it too much for the first few days (hiding in the sand is fairly normal).

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Yellow Coris Wrasse can definitely hide in the sand for a few days. They are also prolific jumpers so look for him behind the tank as well. And if you do eventually find him alive and well, you would be wise to add a screen top to keep him swimming safely and not carpet surfing.
I already have a screen top, and I did check around the back just in case it jumped while I was doing maintenance

codenfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine hides for 2 days after putting into the tank but now on a daily basis wakes up at 8am and sleeps at 10:35pm. Occasionally it would hide for a day and comes out the following day, first time this happened I was worried thinking its dead as that's what happened to my first yellow coris sadly, it was missing for a few days and later I found it looking very weak laying on the sand and died shortly after.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back