Yellow eye issues.

Ayzel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8201.PNG
Hello and salutations!! I have been reading post from R2R for the last year or so. I have found very valuable info in this site and I would like to say thank you to all. I have been keeping fish for the last 10 years since my wife wanted to get my kids an aquarium, and I would be the one taking care of the freshwater 5 gal. aquarium. My first salt water aquarium was given to me by a friend and coworker that no longer wanted to be in the hobby. He gave me EVERYTHING!! 120 gal DT, Fish, a fluval fx5 canister filter, 2 prizm protein skimmers, aquaclear 100, and additional stuff that he was not using cause it was broken and he did not know how to fix it. Moving the tank was huge task, but we got it done with help. I'ved changed a few things, removing the aquaclear, replacing the small prizm protein skimmers with an aqua maxx skimmer, and replacing the fx5 with a sump. During the first few months I would learn some very tough lessons. Since I was very green when it came to keeping saltwaterfish, I was not able to keep the fishes that my friend gave me. The only one that survived is the yellow eyes tang. He is doing great(assuming that it's a "he"), but now it looks like he has small parts of his "skin" missing around the mouth and eyes area. I visited the fish store that I frequent and they think that he is rubbing himself on the rocks. They suggested Fishkeeper, and I haved used it before but I stopped(not sure if it worked). Any suggestion on what I should do? Thanks in advance.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Welcome to R2R!

The two issues here (the face & rubbing on the rocks) are two seperate but semi related issues. The face looks to be HLLE and can be caused by poor nutrition, stress and poor water quality. Some people attribute it to running lower quality carbon and even voltage being leaked into the tank. It can heal up (sometimes leaving scars) with proper nutrition, low stress and excellent water quality- oh and time.

The rubbing on the rocks says there is a parasite bothering the fish. He's attempting to rub it off. It could be anything from ick to velvet to flukes. A freshwater dip would help rule out/confirm flukes for us and we could move on to the more likely ich. It's important to mention that having a parasite lurking in the tank can be part of the cause of HLLE.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Welcome to R2R!

The two issues here (the face & rubbing on the rocks) are two seperate but semi related issues. The face looks to be HLLE and can be caused by poor nutrition, stress and poor water quality. Some people attribute it to running lower quality carbon and even voltage being leaked into the tank. It can heal up (sometimes leaving scars) with proper nutrition, low stress and excellent water quality- oh and time.

The rubbing on the rocks says there is a parasite bothering the fish. He's attempting to rub it off. It could be anything from ick to velvet to flukes. A freshwater dip would help rule out/confirm flukes for us and we could move on to the more likely ich. It's important to mention that having a parasite lurking in the tank can be part of the cause of HLLE.

I 100% agree.

That fish and all others going in should be properly treated in copper or CP (30 full days at full dosage) and prazi (2 doses 5 days apart) in a quarantine tank.

Then, HLLE will continue to heal with better feeding. For tangs, feed nori on a clip of varied kinds (mine love red and green), and soak frozen food mixes in selcon as well as other foods. IMO pellets, flakes, and poor water quality are the biggest contributors to HLLE.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

OP
OP
Ayzel1

Ayzel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Welcome to R2R!

...what would be considered poor nutrition? As to water quality, the only issue that I have been dealing with is nitrates being high...how long would I have to dip him in fresh water?

OP
OP
Ayzel1

Ayzel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 100% agree.

That fish and all others going in should be properly treated in copper or CP (30 full days at full dosage) and prazi (2 doses 5 days apart) in a quarantine tank.

Then, HLLE will continue to heal with better feeding. For tangs, feed nori on a clip of varied kinds (mine love red and green), and soak frozen food mixes in selcon as well as other foods. IMO pellets, flakes, and poor water quality are the biggest contributors to HLLE.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!
How often do you feed your tangs? The reason I ask is cause the fish store guys say that I should only feed every other day...How long would I have to soak the food in selcon for and is there a specific brand?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you feed your tangs? The reason I ask is cause the fish store guys say that I should only feed every other day...How long would I have to soak the food in selcon for and is there a specific brand?

Every day, as much nori as they can eat in one day and my mixed frozen food medley - I mix and microwave and strain the water and yuck out and then add selcon and garlic guard for taste. I feed them a good amount of that each day as well.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...what would be considered poor nutrition? As to water quality, the only issue that I have been dealing with is nitrates being high...how long would I have to dip him in fresh water?

Poor nutrition could be feeding mostly Brine shrimp or only flakes or pellets. You want to mix it up and feed the highest quality foods with the most nutritional value. Lots of veggies as 4ford mentioned. A freshwater dip is simply:

Freshwater Dip: Provides temporary relief for Brooklynella, Flukes & "Black Ich", Marine Velvet disease (Amyloodinium); possibly even Ich & Uronema marinum (both unproven). Can be used to confirm the presence of Flukes.

How To Treat - Fill a bucket with RODI water, and use a heater to match the temperature to the water the fish is coming from. Aerate the water heavily for at least 30 minutes prior to doing the dip, then discontinue aeration while performing the dip. Fish aren’t overly pH sensitive for short durations like this, but you can squirt a little tank water into the dip just before the fish goes in to help bring it up.

Place the fish in the freshwater (FW) dip and observe closely. It is not unusual for them to freak out a little at first. Also, tangs are notorious for “playing dead” during a FW dip. The important thing is to watch their gills; they should be breathing heavily at all times during the dip. If breathing slows, it’s time to exit the dip. Dip the fish for no longer than 5 minutes. Multiple dips may be done, but it’s important to give your fish a day to recuperate in-between dips.

For flukes, use a dark (preferably black) bucket so you can see if tiny white worms fall out of the fish (especially out of the gills) at around the 3-4 minute mark. The worms will settle to the bottom, so you can use a flashlight to look for them there as well.

Pros - Provides temporary relief for a wide range of diseases in a chemical free environment. Can “buy you more time” until a proper treatment can be done.

Cons/Side Effects - Not a permanent “fix” for any disease, as FW dips are not potent enough to eradicate all of the parasites/worms afflicting the fish. Some fish can have an adverse reaction to a FW dip by appearing unable to maintain their equilibrium once returned to the aquarium. If this happens, hold the fish upright (using latex, nitrile or rubber gloves), and gently glide him through the water (to get saltwater flowing through the gills again). It is also a good idea to place the fish in an acclimation box until he appears “normal”.

OP
OP
Ayzel1

Ayzel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!
Welcome to R2R!
I hope your wife and kids love this yellow eyes tang:)
Is he getting better?

-Zhenya
My family does love the tank and all it's inhabitants, thanks for asking!! The yellow eyes has never acted sick. I did the dip just like @melypr1985 suggested and no parasites where visible I the dip, btw was a pain in the rear trying to catch him!! I bought the selcon like @4FordFamily suggested and I also got Boyd Enterprises ABE16707 Marine Vitachem to boost their food. The blotches are not getting bigger and he always eats, someone told me that tangs can live a long time even with the HLLE, is this true?

SantaMonicaHelp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My family does love the tank and all it's inhabitants, thanks for asking!! The yellow eyes has never acted sick. I did the dip just like @melypr1985 suggested and no parasites where visible I the dip, btw was a pain in the rear trying to catch him!! I bought the selcon like @4FordFamily suggested and I also got Boyd Enterprises ABE16707 Marine Vitachem to boost their food. The blotches are not getting bigger and he always eats, someone told me that tangs can live a long time even with the HLLE, is this true?

I don't want to give you a wrong answer as I am not a fish expert :(

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

HLLE is fatal only if grossly ignored for quite a few years typically. Improving nutrition as you've done will improve its held and begin repair but it may be months or even a year before the fish looks "whole" again.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HLLE is fatal only if grossly ignored for quite a few years typically. Improving nutrition as you've done will improve its held and begin repair but it may be months or even a year before the fish looks "whole" again.

Agreed.

OP
OP
Ayzel1

Ayzel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

...now I remember your name coming up on a YouTube vid. Some one trying to diy one of your scrubbers. What i am using to try to bring my nitrates down is cheato with a 100w led light that I got from the homedepot. The cheato is growing! I have tested for nitrates, my levels are still on the high side even after having cheato and a reactor filled with Matrix. I figured it would take a couple of months before I see any drop in the nitrates. How long till your scrubbers start making a difference on the nitrates?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back