Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20190825_125558.jpg
20190825_125601.jpg
20190825_125552.jpg

Hello R2R, I have a situation with my yellow boxfish. It seems he has grown some kind of white lump on the right side of his body, under his eye. I doubt it's ich, the spot is way too big, it almost looks like a barnacle on the side of a ship hull. I just meed help identifying the cause of the white lump. Any input would be appreciated, thank you in advanced.

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like classic lympocystis to me. The fish has that cluster of giant cells that look like cauliflower. The virus enters the tissue cells usually from a break in the protective slime coat of the fish. Oftentimes as the fishes own immune system strengthens viruses may block their own uptake of nutrients and die. It can take weeks to months in some cases for the growth to fall off. I know it’s aesthetically less than pleasing to look at but fortunately it’s not usually a fish killer.

WMR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like classic lympocystis to me. The fish has that cluster of giant cells that look like cauliflower. The virus enters the tissue cells usually from a break in the protective slime coat of the fish. Oftentimes as the fishes own immune system strengthens viruses may block their own uptake of nutrients and die. It can take weeks to months in some cases for the growth to fall off. I know it’s aesthetically less than pleasing to look at but fortunately it’s not usually a fish killer.
+1, agree lymphocytes, unslightly, but usually harmless, the issues I’ve seen with it is when it’s on the mouth, good luck

OP
OP
S_OS

S_OS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thank God it's nothing life threatening, I actually do water changes weekly. I feed my tank strictly Mysid shrimps dipped in selcon every other day. Should I vary the vitamins the fish take? My other two fish, a Bristletooth tang and a sixline wrasse seem to be fine but I don't know if this can spread to them, too.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome fish. I would certainly vary the food types you are giving your tank though, and not just on the account of your pubescent boxy

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back