Yellow tang bumps

SteveF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 mixed reef. Very healthy. Question: I have a yellow tang (about 3 years old ) and I noticed he is getting white bumps around his eyes and down his nose. I haven’t seen images of yellows with this. Like markings as they age. Is this normal.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture??
I have a 120 mixed reef. Very healthy. Question: I have a yellow tang (about 3 years old ) and I noticed he is getting white bumps around his eyes and down his nose. I haven’t seen images of yellows with this. Like markings as they age. Is this normal.

OP
OP
S

SteveF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies! My yellow is a bit camera shy
IMG_4375.jpeg
IMG_4382.jpeg IMG_4382.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4389.jpeg
    IMG_4389.jpeg
    234.7 KB · Views: 30

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they sticking out? It can be flukes if they are, but what I am thinking is it's HLLE. It's really hard to tell from this picture. I know it's not easy to catch them. Mine is 8 years old, and it is still terrified of me. If it looks like scales are coming off, then it's probably HLLE. From the top picture, I am leaning toward that conclusion. Hopefully, others jump in. Do you run carbon on your tank? It's the leading cause of HLLE, but there are other factors.

bluemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before the medics show up, you will get faster answers if you manage to get a photo and video in white light, as well as the basic parameters, last fish added, and any other symptoms you see (not visual)

Like heavy breathing, flashing, swimming into current all the time.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for the replies! My yellow is a bit camera shy
IMG_4375.jpeg
IMG_4382.jpeg IMG_4382.jpeg
These pics are too dark to do a proper assessment.
Please post under white spectrum
Also, what foods are you feeding the fish and while age can be a factor with fish, mine just turned 6 years and as bright and full as I got them:

1691543009394.png

OP
OP
S

SteveF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they sticking out? It can be flukes if they are, but what I am thinking is it's HLLE. It's really hard to tell from this picture. I know it's not easy to catch them. Mine is 8 years old, and it is still terrified of me. If it looks like scales are coming off, then it's probably HLLE. From the top picture, I am leaning toward that conclusion. Hopefully, others jump in. Do you run carbon on your tank? It's the leading cause of HLLE, but there are other factors.
Thanks so very much for the advice and response. It doesn’t look like the white bumps are scaled, just protruding slit KT above his skin level. Other than that he is eating and doing well. I don’t run carbon, so “hopefully “ it’s not HLLE. I have been treating w vitamin c and garlic… which seem to be having a positive effect.
Is HLLE contagious to other fish?

Reefolution

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HLLE tends to be a diet issue, not enough seaweed. Some people think poor quality carbon or even stray voltage. Mine started to develop it when I cut back on the nori. I thought that Rod's food for herbavore's would be enough seaweed but apparently not. So I increased the nori again and my yellow tang improved, but not completely.

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so very much for the advice and response. It doesn’t look like the white bumps are scaled, just protruding slit KT above his skin level. Other than that he is eating and doing well. I don’t run carbon, so “hopefully “ it’s not HLLE. I have been treating w vitamin c and garlic… which seem to be having a positive effect.
Is HLLE contagious to other fish?
No, it's not contagious. Some other factors contributing to this condition are diet, and stray electricity in the tank, but you would probably pick up on.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 120 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back