Yellow Tang fin rot, need advice.

Caution King

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, was hoping to get some advice on a recently purchased captive breed Biota yellow tang. He arrived 2 days ago in okay shape, he had some minor fin rot. I put him into my 10 gallon quarantine tank with no meds for observation. Yesterday I noticed the fin rot got a little worse and today I just got home from work and he’s gotten way worse in only a few hours. Was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what may be the cause and how to treat. He’s pretty active, and eating pellets. Please any advice would be greatly appreciated. Let me know whatever info you need from me and I’ll try my best to provide it. Thank you

2120C85B-9A10-475C-93CD-E6E842BAAAE3.png 3AF1826C-7C94-4169-9BDB-9D54F2DA0CFB.png BDF3B599-BD17-4B5A-BCA3-1C5AAD9F4286.png AA6C2928-D5B8-44DA-A7F1-5552CCE7486F.png

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO step one is for that netting pic to be the last time you net him out.

He needs calm healing time, possibly an every 3 day WC and the best probiotic, highest protein food he'll eat. Whatever he doesn't eat gets immediately netted out

I'd keep only ambient light during the day and total blackout at night on a 12hr rotation schedule

OP
OP
Caution King

Caution King

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO step one is for that netting pic to be the last time you net him out.

He needs calm healing time, possibly an every 3 day WC and the best probiotic, highest protein food he'll eat. Whatever he doesn't eat gets immediately netted out

I'd keep only ambient light during the day and total blackout at night on a 12hr rotation schedule
Thank you for the advice, I will not net him again. I’ve had the lights in lowest setting for about 8 hrs a day. And he’s very shy since day 1 I’ve had the front of the tank covered with a towel, so he doesn’t freak out every time I pass by. The tank had a almost 100% WC 3 days ago befor going into QT, will continue with water changes every 3 days. Will pick up some probiotic feed. Any idea what may be the cause for the sudden severe fin rot?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back