New Fish Unwell - Please Help

dannyd_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you share a video of his behavior now? Have you been moving things around in his tank every so often, or making any changes the fish would notice physically? It could just be hiding out becuase it sees a lot of movement constantly, I had one that never came out becuase I am by the tank a lot, and it took some time to be comfortable staying out. It just might be the adjustment period.

OP
OP
GiannisK

GiannisK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you share a video of his behavior now? Have you been moving things around in his tank every so often, or making any changes the fish would notice physically? It could just be hiding out becuase it sees a lot of movement constantly, I had one that never came out becuase I am by the tank a lot, and it took some time to be comfortable staying out. It just might be the adjustment period.
So I did another 100% water change cause it’s day 7. I accidentally dozed double the prazi and he immediately freaked out and was zipping around, almost like he was trying to desperately escape. I added carbon within a few minutes to get rid of it and still have it running with carbon.

This is him right now…very very concerned…

#emerg#emergency

Attachments

• IMG_8848.mov
    47 MB

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply. I’m not allowed to install a RODI system in my apartment and buying water is too expensive. I have decided that since I’m going for a fish only tank, I’m going to take the risks with the dechlorinated tap water.

Would you recommend a partial or a complete water change? I was somewhat following the BRS 80/20 quarantine, just with malachite green instead of copper, which is what “nox-ich” basically is. I’ve heard very mixed reviews on copper. I’m definitely open to buying prazipro (which I’ve used before) and copper power (which is chelated copper and won’t react with a dechlorinator.

I’ll do research on how effective this “ammonia down” thing is but I don’t have high hopes.

I’ll also get a couple PVC tubes for the hiding.

If it’s my water by itself that has high ammonia, due to the tap and/or conditioner, would you recommend adding some bio media to the QT filter? Would malachite green or copper kill those bacteria?

Thanks for all your help!
Rodi unit is not a permanent item. You can just hook it to the faucet run the waist to the drain, clean water to bucket. 5 minutes to set up and take down. No body would know you ever used one.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t see the video but I think you will treat this fish to death before you allow it to live?

Not every fish needs medical attention before it is safe to allow it into your DT. I know that this is a difficult concept to grasp but over treated fish suffer death as often as fish dumped into the DT, and likely sooner although lots of people will disagree with my opinion on this one.
Nurse Nurses Week GIF by MOODMAN

OP
OP
GiannisK

GiannisK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t see the video but I think you will treat this fish to death before you allow it to live?

Not every fish needs medical attention before it is safe to allow it into your DT. I know that this is a difficult concept to grasp but over treated fish suffer death as often as fish dumped into the DT, and likely sooner although lots of people will disagree with my opinion on this one.
Nurse Nurses Week GIF by MOODMAN
I fully agree but I’m just following the quarantine guidelines that seem to be most popular and respected on this forum and everywhere.

OP
OP
GiannisK

GiannisK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what is your salinity ??
I said it above, 1.020.

As it happens, I appreciate you asking for this because it turns out my refractometer was out of balance, which is surprising to me because I calibrated it just a couple weeks ago. Now that it’s fixed, it reads 1.016, which is concerning. I’ll bring it up to 1.023 over the next two hours.

OP
OP
GiannisK

GiannisK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts? I'm still running carbon, gonna do so for 24 hours. Also doing a 50% water change to get more non-medicated water in, then going to do a regular dose of prazi.

He looks to weak to eat...not sure if I should risk throwing food in there that will become ammonia...he's still hiding and breathing hard.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m no expert, but it sounds to me like you’re panicking and moving too fast. I’d probably not dose anything and keep an eye on him for at least a couple of days, the assess the situation. Bombarding the little guy with a bunch of different chemicals every couple days can’t be good for his stress level.

OP
OP
GiannisK

GiannisK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m no expert, but it sounds to me like you’re panicking and moving too fast. I’d probably not dose anything and keep an eye on him for at least a couple of days, the assess the situation. Bombarding the little guy with a bunch of different chemicals every couple days can’t be good for his stress level.
I think you’re totally right and I’ve been feeling the same way, which is why I’m keeping in the carbon for a while and then I’m just gonna dose with prazi and only prazi and let him alone for a few days with that.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 125 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back