Yellow tang has red/brown color on face.. please help

Medmondsii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello have a yellow tang in qt. Was recently in a fight with another tang. -he didn't live-. But my yellow tang seems to have a discoloration on the front of it face and mouth area. Hope these pictures below will help. The tang is not eating and and copper level are around 1.96 ppm. Using copper power.
What could this be on the fish face?

Should I stop copper treatment?

Thanks for all your help

PXL_20211005_212225170.MP.jpg PXL_20211005_212223314.MP.jpg PXL_20211005_212222004.MP.jpg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello have a yellow tang in qt. Was recently in a fight with another tang. -he didn't live-. But my yellow tang seems to have a discoloration on the front of it face and mouth area. Hope these pictures below will help. The tang is not eating and and copper level are around 1.96 ppm. Using copper power.
What could this be on the fish face?

Should I stop copper treatment?

Thanks for all your help

PXL_20211005_212225170.MP.jpg PXL_20211005_212223314.MP.jpg PXL_20211005_212222004.MP.jpg
Why are you treating for copper?

That can either be bruise OR stress induced. When my yellow tang was in Reef Flux, its whole body along its sides turned that color and it was so lethargic we could almost remove from tank using our hands. We quickly rehomed out of the treated water into our 5g QT where it could 'vacation' while rest of main tank went thru treatment for bryopsis. It bounced back quickly once water quality (no meds) was restored.

EDIT: Normally my tang attacks from its backside to cut its opponent, so in another fight with a tang would expect slash & gash. My sailfin & yellow tangs daily fought a little but it was amazing how quickly they'd self heal (well fed & healthy). My yellow and blue tangs never fight (yet...?)

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
All I see is his normal mouth. Copper isn't going to treat wounds. Put that Spartan back in there and let him be a soldier!

He looks fine to me.

OP
OP
M

Medmondsii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you treating for copper?

That can either be bruise OR stress induced. When my yellow tang was in Reef Flux, its whole body along its sides turned that color and it was so lethargic we could almost remove from tank using our hands. We quickly rehomed out of the treated water into our 5g QT where it could 'vacation' while rest of main tank went thru treatment for bryopsis. It bounced back quickly once water quality (no meds) was restored.

EDIT: Normally my tang attacks from its backside to cut its opponent, so in another fight with a tang would expect slash & gash. My sailfin & yellow tangs daily fought a little but it was amazing how quickly they'd self heal (well fed & healthy). My yellow and blue tangs never fight (yet...?)
My Dt is fallow at the moment. So all my fish are in qt. The yellow tang is a new fish. So he will go through the same qt as the other fish.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had one for 7 years, it would have the same colorization on both of its side, telling me it was in a hypnotic sleep state.

Yellows can be fairly translucent and show discoloration that really means nothing

Copper can kill a fish's appetite...

If eating, swimming and breathing ok.... drink a beer and relax my brother.

OP
OP
M

Medmondsii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had one for 7 years, it would have the same colorization on both of its side, telling me it was in a hypnotic sleep state.

Yellows can be fairly translucent and show discoloration that really means nothing

Copper can kill a fish's appetite...

If eating, swimming and breathing ok.... drink a beer and relax my brother.
I have not seen him eat yet. Its been several days now. Doing water changes and taking out the copper. He seems to be hiding alot and not eating.
Any suggestions?

OP
OP
M

Medmondsii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put some nori on a clip with garlic. and mysis shrimp in the tank. He didn't go for any of it.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not seen him eat yet. Its been several days now. Doing water changes and taking out the copper. He seems to be hiding alot and not eating.
Any suggestions?
Never seen a yellow turn down oysters in a shell.

If you get oysters at a seafood deli and crack one open with all the slimey oyster meat still in the folded opened shell, if he turns that down, idk what to say. Fresh oysters are like high priced filet migon to Yellows

OP
OP
M

Medmondsii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never seen a yellow turn down oysters in a shell.

If you get oysters at a seafood deli and crack one open with all the slimey oyster meat still in the folded opened shell, if he turns that down, idk what to say. Fresh oysters are like high priced filet migon to Yellows
Yellow tangs eat oysters? Where am I gonna find a single oyster? Lol.. do I just throw in the tank after opening it up?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back