Yellow Tang is sick. Any suggestions?

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and no. Because you have to maintain the exact dosage. Too little and it's ineffective, too much and you can kill your fish. Takes longer than TTM too. Pros and cons of each, but certainly does not hurt to have options!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really great job saving your fish.

I have heard of people getting velvet outbreaks when something stressful happens (a move, failed heater, etc) even though nothing new was added in many many months. It seems velvet CAN lurk.

OP
OP
LavalReefer

LavalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and no. Because you have to maintain the exact dosage. Too little and it's ineffective, too much and you can kill your fish. Takes longer than TTM too. Pros and cons of each, but certainly does not hurt to have options!

Yeah I read you have to really monitor it closely and with the right test kit! Like you said they have both pros and cons... TTM is not potentially toxic but my gosh the amount of salt mixing I did in 2 weeks haha! Plus I had double tanks to give space for aaaall the fish. It's probably easier with just one or two new fish because you only have one tank to prepare at the time :p
thank you for the feedback!!

OP
OP
LavalReefer

LavalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really great job saving your fish.

I have heard of people getting velvet outbreaks when something stressful happens (a move, failed heater, etc) even though nothing new was added in many many months. It seems velvet CAN lurk.

Yeah I agree with that... The only thing that changed prior to the outbreak was my lights which I turned more blue. I feel like it either stressed the fish because it was too sudden (my bad...) Or it affected the cycle of velvet since they seem to react to light/be more active at night or something.. I surely hope it will be gone after the fallow period but I guess we are never sure... Fingers crossed!!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.8%
Back