Yellow Tang issue Help -

higorc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi,

Can anyone help me with what's going on with my yellow tang? I've had this guy for over 2 years with no issues. Only new addition to the tank recently was a file fish, mandarin and some snails from live aquaria a couple weeks ago.

3 days ago he started swimming slow and not eating. A couple days ago he started showing this on his body. I am afraid if I try to get him out I'll stress him even more. I've never seen this before and am not sure what to do.

Thanks guys

Screenshot_20210419-190707_Gallery.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Can anyone help me with what's going on with my yellow tang? I've had this guy for over 2 years with no issues. Only new addition to the tank recently was a file fish, mandarin and some snails from live aquaria a couple weeks ago.

3 days ago he started swimming slow and not eating. A couple days ago he started showing this on his body. I am afraid if I try to get him out I'll stress him even more. I've never seen this before and am not sure what to do.

Thanks guys

Screenshot_20210419-190707_Gallery.jpg
While its most likely bacterial, I can’t rule out a rare fungal infection. Is it only on the right side of the fish or does it extend to the left?
Do you have a treatment tank available?
The trouble with infections that involve large areas of skin is that the fish then has trouble maintaining proper osmotic balance with the water.
Jay

OP
OP
higorc

higorc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While its most likely bacterial, I can’t rule out a rare fungal infection. Is it only on the right side of the fish or does it extend to the left?
Do you have a treatment tank available?
The trouble with infections that involve large areas of skin is that the fish then has trouble maintaining proper osmotic balance with the water.
Jay

Hi Jay, it's on both sides. Do you think it's contagious? I have other tangs in the tank. I don't have a treatment tank. Is this something I can treat the whole tank with something?

Would a water change help?
Thanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are two basic types of bacterial infections; primary that invade healthy tissue and secondary where the bacteria invades previously damaged tissue. Primary can be contagious, secondary usually is not.
There are not any true antibiotics that I would consider reef safe. There are a number of herbal tonics being sold as reef safe but they are not true antibiotics and don’t have much good science behind them.
Jay

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
Back