Yellow Tang Itching?

scubaboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

So I have a question. I received a Yellow Tang from Mike (Dr. Reef) beginning of August, so about two months ago. She was quarantined and has been doing great. About two weeks ago, I noticed she was "flashing" or scratching on the rocks from time to time. Not all the time, but every now and then. I didn't see any signs of anything and still don't, it's been almost two full weeks since I noticed her doing it.

I have both, a Blood Red and a Skunk Cleaner shrimp and they have each set up on opposite ends of my 105 gal DT and the tang has been visiting both of them at their "cleaning" stations. She eats, sometimes more than other times, Frozen Mysis, Brine, pellets, flakes and nori. She swims in the open, not acting abnormal.

None of my other fish are scratching or acting weird. The only things added to my system in the last couple of months since the tang has been a few snails, 3 peppermint shrimp some chaeto and other misc. macroalgae. Snails picked and scraped anything weird off of the shells and then rinsed. Shrimp were rinsed well and all the macroalgae was soaked for 2+ hours in fresh RO then rinsed real well with fresh saltwater before adding to the fuge.

I realized my latest additions may have got me, I hope not, but wouldn't I see signs of something if it was a parasite (ich) or flukes?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just keep observing your yellow tang unless something shows up.

If it helps you, it is normal for my yellow tang to act weird in presence of our neon blue goby (type of cleaner fish). Our neon blue goby has been getting into our overflow, but I was able to tell when it was out because my yellow tang was swimming nearly sideways, or would shimmy/flash, or otherwise weird as trying to 'beg' for cleaning. Sadly neon blue goby has gotten back in overflow for the 3rd time; its spent more of its life in our overflow than out :( (we thought it was dead for 4 months, first time)

My yellow has given up begging my cleaner shrimp; shrimp only want food and no interest in anything else. Tang would even beg clownfish, but that finally stopped as no one wants to give 'mani/pedi' to my yellow tang.

OP
OP
scubaboy

scubaboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your response. Honestly like I had said I have a blood red and skunk cleaners and they have each set up shop on opposite ends of my DT and my YT visits both locations regularly for her “mani/ pedi”. She was wild caught and understands the process. I have read that the cleaners can take care of a parasite issue, I am just hoping that’s not where I am at. I checked her again tonight and she is clean on both sides but still scratching.
Now I will add that I have been fighting high NO3 & PO4. 25 & .4 respectively. I have also discovered this past Monday that the water I have been getting from my LFS (no I have not been able to get my own RO/DI set up yet) has a TDS level of 11. I am proceeding with major WC’s to lower that and getting water elsewhere. Not sure if that is what may be stressing her out or not.

OP
OP
scubaboy

scubaboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning All,

I make it a point to read my posts multiple times before I post them so as to ensure I am not saying something incorrect or stupid. I did the same with this thread. I may have been wrong.

It's going on 24 hours since I posted this thread and after re-reading it I feel that I need to provide some clarification.

I mentioned that I had gotten my YT from Mike (Dr. Reef) to make the point that she was CORRECTLY quarantined and that I didn't get her from just anywhere. I see I should have made that clearer. If I have left the unintended impression that my potential issue is in any way a result of doing business with Mike, it was unintentional and I owe both Mike and all of you a very sincere apology.

I have purchased many fish from Mike and he has ALWAYS been incredibly professional and all my orders have arrived in great condition. I am a HUGE fan of him and what he does for our hobby and I recommend him every chance I get and will continue to do so.

Any issues that I am having right now with my YT or my tank are 150% on me and I take full responsibility. I obviously may have pushed way too fast with the recent additions of CUC and macroalgae ( I know better) trying to offset other issues I have been dealing with (aptasia, GHA and high nutrient levels) and my impatience just may have gotten me.

I just feel that needed to be said.

OP
OP
scubaboy

scubaboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE - So I still do not see any spots but I am just noticing a red rash on her back end. It is on both sides. She is still scratching.

Could this be a bacterial infection? If so, can I treat her in the DT and what should I use? I don't have any corals yet but do have an extensive CUC of various snails and shrimp.

OP
OP
scubaboy

scubaboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE - So I still do not see any spots but I am just noticing a red rash on her back end. It is on both sides. She is still scratching.

Could this be a bacterial infection? If so, can I treat her in the DT and what should I use? I don't have any corals yet but do have an extensive CUC of various snails and shrimp.
sorry, I meant to include pictures

Attachments

• YT01.jpg
    YT01.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 15
  • YT02.jpg
    YT02.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 19

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might want to make a new post with all of this info in the disease forum where one of the experts will see it sooner. Or you could just tag them here, too. Good luck!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back