Yellow tang picking on small goby

Vero Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if this is in the wrong place. Had anyone ever seen a yellow tang trap a goby to only a corner of a tank and not let him go anywhere and if he does get some where else chase him back to where he wants him. Well I be leave this is what he is doing. I watched the tang sift his body between the rock and glass just to touch the goby. I'm not understanding what he is doing really. He will chase him back to only one part of the tank and then keep him there what seems to be all day. I'm wondering if he is trying to stare out the goby. All the light sand is gone and the rubble I will call it is to big for the goby to mouth.

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Vero Reefer

Vero Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s interesting behavior and no I’ve never witnessed it. What size tank? Other tankmates?

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily I’ve seen it first hand!
Actually lost an Achilles tang to a newly added Scott’s fairy wrasse. The Achilles was so set on destroying the wrasse it toppled a rock on itself the day after I added the wrasse. It was an all out brawl so I turned the lights off and things calmed down. I went to school (college) the following day before the lights came on and I came home to all the sand on one corner of the tank gone, rocks toppled all around and a dead Achilles under the pile. I lost the wrasses later that day, he was torn to shreds.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so then I'm wondering what should I replace him with I need a good algea type fish
Do you have an algae problem? Even so, there are plenty of inverts that are superb algae eaters, and that will leave more biofiltration space for non-utilitarian fish.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily I’ve seen it first hand!
Actually lost an Achilles tang to a newly added Scott’s fairy wrasse. The Achilles was so set on destroying the wrasse it toppled a rock on itself the day after I added the wrasse. It was an all out brawl so I turned the lights off and things calmed down. I went to school (college) the following day before the lights came on and I came home to all the sand on one corner of the tank gone, rocks toppled all around and a dead Achilles under the pile. I lost the wrasses later that day, he was torn to shreds.
I’ve seen plenty of tang aggression but never to bottom-swelling fish like gobies.

That’s an awful story!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Time for Karate lessons

fish_hooks__milo_karate_by_mhsu-d30tkui.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back