Flaming Prawn Goby Plan

NotReefsafe

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 25, 2022
Messages
336
Reaction score
211
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I purchased a flaming prawn goby for my 15 gallon. The tank is four years old with a pair of ocellaris, an orange spotted prawn goby, Xenia, GSP, torch, a huge alveopora colony, Duncan, zoas, and pipe organ.

My two worries for this guy are feeding and aggression. I very wrongly assumed that he would be too small for my other fish to care about, but he has been harassed by both clowns and other goby. I tried to make him a little safe haven in the corner, sheltered by empty hermit shells and corals, but the other fish remain aggressive.

As for feeding, the little info I can find says that a decent copepod population should be enough to sustain this fish. I am going to start dosing phyto and spot feed frozen pods as well.

Will he be okay in this tank long term or should I set up something specific for him?
 
Today I purchased a flaming prawn goby for my 15 gallon. The tank is four years old with a pair of ocellaris, an orange spotted prawn goby, Xenia, GSP, torch, a huge alveopora colony, Duncan, zoas, and pipe organ.

My two worries for this guy are feeding and aggression. I very wrongly assumed that he would be too small for my other fish to care about, but he has been harassed by both clowns and other goby. I tried to make him a little safe haven in the corner, sheltered by empty hermit shells and corals, but the other fish remain aggressive.

As for feeding, the little info I can find says that a decent copepod population should be enough to sustain this fish. I am going to start dosing phyto and spot feed frozen pods as well.

Will he be okay in this tank long term or should I set up something specific for him?

They will not do well with any level of aggression from other fish doesn't matter the size. Not to say, that they can't do well with larger fish.

I have three in my medium size nano and they are out and about during the day doing their thing.

As far as feeding goes, I've only ever see them going after pods. They may be eating a small portion of frozen BBS that I feed. But it's hard to say because the BBS are small and the fish are small.

The tank boss and center piece fish is a rather large Exquisite Firefish (he's about 4-5 inches in size). And he pays the flaming prawns no attention and the flaming prawns are comfortable with his presence.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new