Yellow Tang question

FixIt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so before i get the qhole you shouldnt have a Tang in a nano i know that. however i really want one of these for a fish. now i say that because i love the look of it and knoe i am going to upgrade the tank to a 90g soon. So here is my question... How long, with buying a small one, can i expect to keep it in the nano before it out grows it?

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How nano is your nano? I have bought a yellow tang from someone who had it in a 29-35 gallon tank for a year. Even though he was alive he was not in the greatest condition. He was well fed but I feel the lack of swimming room was detrimental. He would do feverish lapse in his small tank and appeared thin. Of all the tangs I have ever owned he was definitely the most skittish and took the longest to acclimate. After 6 months of being in a much larger tank his behavior began improving, and the previous owner was surprised that he no longer was doing feverish lapse.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is a 32 gal biocube.

Take it from a guy who had to remove one that was only about 40% grown from his 90 gallon (after less than a month it tried to claim the whole tank as it's own), think very carefully about getting one. They can be pretty aggressive, even at a smaller size and especially in a little tank. Mine took a chunk out of my coral beauty and got it with it's tail fin scalpel several times and would shadow and intimidate every one else in sight. Thank goodness my Coral Beauty has been a super durable fish. If you are looking for something Yellow, but is generally a better tank mate I would look at a One Spot Foxface. I got one to replace my Yellow Tang and have been much happier with it. Either way I would just hold off until you get the 90 gallon. Transferring Fish from one tank to another is never as easy and smooth as people make it sound. I upgraded from a 36 gallon bowfront to my current 90 gallon last November and I never want to go through that again and yes, the process is equally stressful on the fish and the owner.

Last edited:

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 10 13.0%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 17 22.1%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 46 59.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.2%
Back