Yellow Tang's mouth glued shut

  • Thread starter Thread starter Shark Skin
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Shark Skin

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 12, 2025
Messages
12
Reaction score
32
Location
Fair Oaks
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was super gluing a frag and a drop of glue dripped in the tank. My yellow tang thought is was food and went to eat it. Now I can see glue on its mouth. I tried feeding to see if it could open its mouth to eat but it can’t. I tried catching it but my rock scape makes it extremely difficult and I could not catch it. I’m wondering if this has happened to anyone else before? What can I expect? Will it fall off eventually or should I expect its demise? It seems to be breathing fine. Thanks.
 
Update - 1 day later. The glue is still on and it attempts to eat but can't get the food in its mouth. I am dropping pellets randomly throughout the day to try to get its mouth moving to hopefully knock off the glue.
 
I've seen member's here post a similar experience in the past, and I believe in all cases the glue just drops off in some time, and the fish was fine. Hopefully your fish will have a similar outcome 🙂
 
I was super gluing a frag and a drop of glue dripped in the tank. My yellow tang thought is was food and went to eat it. Now I can see glue on its mouth. I tried feeding to see if it could open its mouth to eat but it can’t. I tried catching it but my rock scape makes it extremely difficult and I could not catch it. I’m wondering if this has happened to anyone else before? What can I expect? Will it fall off eventually or should I expect its demise? It seems to be breathing fine. Thanks.

I replied to your other thread. I’d give it two more days and then try to physically remove what you can.

It can’t be too heavily glued else the fish wouldn’t be able to breath.
 
This happened to me before. And think it was my yellow tang too. It resolved itself in a day or two.
 
On skin submerged in water it should free itself in a day or 2. If not you will have to trap it and carefully remove the glue from affected surfaces.
 
Update: Tang is still alive but not able to eat. I have tried many different types of food. The glue fell off its lips but the mouth must still be glued. Hoping it makes it.
 
Update: Tang is still alive but not able to eat. I have tried many different types of food. The glue fell off its lips but the mouth must still be glued. Hoping it makes it.
Wow, almost 3 weeks now! I hope he makes it!
 
Update: Tang is still alive but not able to eat. I have tried many different types of food. The glue fell off its lips but the mouth must still be glued. Hoping it makes it.

Given that amount of time, if it were my fish, I would try to open the mouth with a thin probe of some sort. Catching it will be difficult - you could try at night perhaps. Another trick is to set a net upright in the tank and chase the tang into that net with another one.
 
Given that amount of time, if it were my fish, I would try to open the mouth with a thin probe of some sort. Catching it will be difficult - you could try at night perhaps. Another trick is to set a net upright in the tank and chase the tang into that net with another one.

Also if it’s done at night with lights off. Have caught many fish at night with lights off. Big nets that have the black fine mesh. White they spot. Also the phone light by dimming it a bit.
 
I replied to your other thread. I’d give it two more days and then try to physically remove what you can.

It can’t be too heavily glued else the fish wouldn’t be able to breath.
If you can get Seachem Zoo Plankton they love it . You can feed it with a baster . Unless you have a proper acrylic one
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new