Yellow watchman goby be lunch for a dwarf moray?

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at getting a dwarf moray. They seem really cool though I have a very peaceful tank which worries me a little. Just wanted some insight with them. My biggest worry is my watchman goby would he be threatened. I know morays are predators, but have read a little on them and have heard that they stay away from fish though, I'm not entirely sure how true this is. The other fish are a ornate wrasse, copper band butterfly and tribal blenny. I don't think they are a threat due to their size. The wrasse is like 3 inches, cbb is 3 to 4 inches more 3 1/2, tribal blenny is about 3 inches as well. The goby though is like 1inch and a half maybe 2. I also have a huge cleaner shrimp that my fish seem to think is Godzilla if it comes near them. I have read other threads, but it's hard to make an informed decision because everyone's situation is different.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are referring to the melatremus eel as the dwarf eel, then the watchman will be fine, as should the large cleaner shrimp. Even when full grown a melatremus eel will have trouble with these.

OP
OP
badstorm48

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what type it is. It just says pink yellow dwarf moray. The list that my lfs gave me from the distributor doesn't have the Scientific names just common names. When I google it it does come up with the the melatremus eel

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what type it is. It just says pink yellow dwarf moray. The list that my lfs gave me from the distributor doesn't have the Scientific names just common names. When I google it it does come up with the the melatremus eel
If it's a melatremus you should be fine, if not, use caution.

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@badstorm48 if you can get a pic, we can get an identification for you. How big is your tank? Also 1 of my keys to success has been to watch mine and to interprupt his gestures. The "mouthing wide open" every moray eel owner should know.

OP
OP
badstorm48

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's off of a list it's not in the store. I have a 40 breeder. This would be my first eel if I was to get it so I'm not sure about how they are with eating and all that. So any info on how they are with eating and such would be helpful. I don't know much about eels in general. I have found them really interesting which is why I was looking at this one. Also how is their temperament are they aggressive or laid back peaceful type eels. I have heard that they aren't on the aggressive side and more passive side?

My lfs would order it in for me. I have had a lot of luck with getting fish from him. I got my cbb from him and it started eating at day 2. Everything I got has eaten from the day I put it in the tank.

OP
OP
badstorm48

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to ask him which kind it is. He will know since he has more info on all that

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are Houdini's when it comes 2 escaping. A secure right lid is a must, I had 2 use some plastic gutter guard to modify my overflow.

Eating varies, but depending on age varies from twice a day to possibly a week or more. They are known to undergo hunger strikes.

I've read these are fairly docile but fish like those in the darts can be a meal. Some may go after fish and others don't at all.

OP
OP
badstorm48

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a canopy but I would have to look at a way to make it more secure

OP
OP
badstorm48

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the same type but this is what started it all for me. Like you I was interested and since have become addicted.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/1-year-with-a-chainlink-eel.252908/

I was looking at the dwarf because of size. They only get what 7 inches fully grown which would fit my tank nicely and I figured smaller fish smaller jaws limiting the size fish it can eat if it wanted to. Though have never looked at other eels due to thinking that all of them would eat my fish. It would have to go into my 40 breeder for a little while until I move and can get a bigger tank. I am definitely open to other eels, but I want to make sure that it will get along with my other fish. I have a cbb, yellow watchman goby, ornate wrasse, and tribal blenny, and cleaner shrimp that's pretty large. All of them are about 3 inches to 4 inches except for the goby that's about inch and a half maybe 2.

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at the dwarf because of size. They only get what 7 inches fully grown which would fit my tank nicely and I figured smaller fish smaller jaws limiting the size fish it can eat if it wanted to. Though have never looked at other eels due to thinking that all of them would eat my fish. It would have to go into my 40 breeder for a little while until I move and can get a bigger tank. I am definitely open to other eels, but I want to make sure that it will get along with my other fish. I have a cbb, yellow watchman goby, ornate wrasse, and tribal blenny, and cleaner shrimp that's pretty large. All of them are about 3 inches to 4 inches except for the goby that's about inch and a half maybe 2.
I posted that 2 give you an idea from someone else that hadn't ever owned an eel before.

jeremy.gosnell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moray eels are predators, but they behave differently than say, a grouper. A grouper will engulf anything that fits in its mouth, and eat prey nearly as large as it is. Eels spend most of their time in one spot, and often wait for an opportunistic time to feed on prey passing by. However, eels do roam and they are capable of eating other fish. Likely feeding regimens, territory within your tank and environmental issues will impact the outcome and sadly many of these are outside of your control, or at least very hard to predict.

I will say the idea of stuffing an eel (which can reach 7") into a 40 gallon aquarium, which is already stocked beyond reasonable levels, is a horrible idea - even in the short term. A copperband butterfly has no business in a 40 gallon tank and even if the tank is very mature, the copperband will eat through naturally growing food (micro-inverts, etc) in no-time. Aquariums often have a tipping point, where the addition of another fish deteriorates conditions in the tank and stuff starts dying off. This tipping point can cause elevated nutrients, stress among tank mates and even result in parasitic outbreaks. An eel is a heavy waste producer and feeder. They most certainly need large meaty food chunks with some species preferring live fare. I see your system with the eel as unsustainable. I would wait till you have a much larger tank, more suited to the mix of fish you are proposing. I wrote an article for Fish Channel and FAMA Magazine years and years ago detailing keeping eels in reef aquariums.

OP
OP
badstorm48

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted that 2 give you an idea from someone else that hadn't ever owned an eel before.

Yeah I saw what you were saying. It looks like your chain link is doing very well especially with the smaller fire fish. Have you seen any fins bitten or anything like that? So, it seems that the pebble teeth eels seem to be better around fish than regular teeth eels?

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I saw what you were saying. It looks like your chain link is doing very well especially with the smaller fire fish. Have you seen any fins bitten or anything like that? So, it seems that the pebble teeth eels seem to be better around fish than regular teeth eels?
No bites or chasing what so ever. Pebble teeth eels are better, especially when given enough space. I believe people's issues with snowflakes come from them hitting maturity and changing genders like they do.

The dwarf stays so small that most fish are much 2 large for it to take down. Are you able to purchase LRS food? If so I think their "chunky" blend would be perfect for these.

OP
OP
badstorm48

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No bites or chasing what so ever. Pebble teeth eels are better, especially when given enough space. I believe people's issues with snowflakes come from them hitting maturity and changing genders like they do.

The dwarf stays so small that most fish are much 2 large for it to take down. Are you able to purchase LRS food? If so I think their "chunky" blend would be perfect for these.

In your opinion do you think that I would have room for the dwarf moray with the stock that I have now? The moray would be the last thing added. My tank has been up for over 6 months now.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A melatremus should not add too much bioload to a properly setup and maintained aquarium. IME they aren't large waste producers.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back