Yellow watchman goby be lunch for a dwarf moray?

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your opinion do you think that I would have room for the dwarf moray with the stock that I have now? The moray would be the last thing added. My tank has been up for over 6 months now.
If I had your setup I would as there's plenty of space for it. Like @eatbreakfast said they're not going to add much to your bio load, but it will add an element that most fish can't. When my friends stop by they look at my fish but love my eel.

OP
OP
badstorm48

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. I will get one then. Probably won't be for a month since they are on the expensive side and switching jobs at the moment. Though, one last question. Are they hard to get eating prepared foods and such? I got lucky with my copper band he was pretty easy to get eating prepared foods.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. I will get one then. Probably won't be for a month since they are on the expensive side and switching jobs at the moment. Though, one last question. Are they hard to get eating prepared foods and such? I got lucky with my copper band he was pretty easy to get eating prepared foods.
It can take them a few days to see them eat, but they aren't picky. Though melatremus is a more shy species.

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your watching it and it starts to open its mouth and stretching its draws north to south, pretty good chance it's hungry. Also out and about at an odd time, have been the 2 indicators for me that they want food.

OP
OP
badstorm48

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool to know. I'm excited have never owned a eel before only seen them in public aquariums.

OP
OP
badstorm48

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I don't. I haven't had a problem (knock on wood). Can eels get ick? If a fish gets a little I do hypo salinity until it goes away which usually takes a few days and I keep my salinity low for a couple weeks and then bring it back up. Also feed selcon to help with their immune system.

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily they are fairly disease resistant due to their slime coat. I prazipro everything due to running into flukes in fish. Ttm is also an option I like to take ich out of the equation, I use a couple 10g plastic tubs.

Continue the silcon when feeding it as well.

OP
OP
badstorm48

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything out there for ick that won't kill inverts and hurt corals? I know prazi you can use in reef tanks and it won't hurt anything. What is ttm? How long do you keep them in the tubs for? Unfortunately right now I can't set up a quarantine due to not having the room and my mom won't let me set up another tank. Just finished college and got my job so trying to move out as soon as possible so I can further my saltwater addiction lol. If I can set something up for temporary use for like an hour or two and then Tear down would be awesome.

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything out there for ick that won't kill inverts and hurt corals? I know prazi you can use in reef tanks and it won't hurt anything. What is ttm? How long do you keep them in the tubs for? Unfortunately right now I can't set up a quarantine due to not having the room and my mom won't let me set up another tank. Just finished college and got my job so trying to move out as soon as possible so I can further my saltwater addiction lol. If I can set something up for temporary use for like an hour or two and then Tear down would be awesome.
Ttm is tank transfer method. Typically you switch them every 3 days for 12 days total.

Congrats on finishing school.

OP
OP
badstorm48

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay cool to know. I typed to abbreviation in on the Internet and read up on it. Interesting method for sure than the usual fill the fish full of meds

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Moray eels will even eat their own kind, let alone just other fish.

The dwarf moray is likely to be okay with other fish, however.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If properly provided for, most blunt toothed morays available to the hobby are well behaved and not predatory to tankmates.

In both of the videos posted, I don't think anybody was providing free meals every day/every few days.

JayTT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this info helps but i have a skeletor eel (Echidna xanthospilos) which is a pebbletoothed dwarf moray and is about as reefsafe as your likely to find,I believe they can reach about 2 feet in length,mine lives in a cave with a cleaner shrimp & a green chromis and for the last 6 months has shown no interest in any livestock but its my guess he'd make a quick meal out of any small crabs or shrimp other than his pal the cleaner,I suffered from a bad breakout of ick which killed my angels & a small bristletooth tang but the eel survived with no problems and after speaking with a marine chemist for a well known UK remedy brand he informed me that eels don't suffer from spot the same as fish but they also don't tolerate copper treatments (not sure if this is relevant,just handy to know).
mine lets you know when he's hungry and is pretty active when its dinnertime,definitely cover the tank as i don't think I'd have had him this long without covers,i also modded the top of my weir to stop him setting up home in there,also worth a mention is the amount of waste from him (unreal) i programmed my mp40s to run nutrient export twice a day which helps,without this facility i guess just plenty of flow to stop detritus settling but I definitely recommend keeping one very cool creatures

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back