Yellow watchman goby not getting oxygen??

Benhuan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does petco sell that stuff? Or would I need to buy it online. Also for a QT tank is like a small 3 gallon tank with an airstone and filter fine to keep one fish in for a few days?
Im not sure... I’m from Australia

Picasso Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throw some live rock (already cycled) in there from you DT if you can, it will help add some beneficial bacteria and keep the goby more at home. Monitor ammonia (you can buy an ammonia alert badge from Petco probably, definitely online) and monitor it’s perams. Definitely do water changes often, like every week or so.

OP
OP
H

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that’s perfect
I put the fish in a zip lock baggy with water and have it in the tank hanging from lid. I know it’s not ideal but I don’t want him to get eaten by the pistol shrimp or anything and I have no QT tank or blue bath :/

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a safety stop guy myself. Methaline blue and formaldehyde dips after I get any new fish. Melevs reef on you tube uses it. The methaline blue actually increases oxygen in the water I believe.

Picasso Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t know about Petco, but after a quick google looks like pet smart carries it

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put the fish in a zip lock baggy with water and have it in the tank hanging from lid. I know it’s not ideal but I don’t want him to get eaten by the pistol shrimp or anything and I have no QT tank or blue bath :/
A plastic bin or rubber maid container can work as a quick QT.

Picasso Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get a container, anything that hold water. 2 liter bottle, large Tupperware, anything like that. Throw an air stone in it and try to get a heater in there if you can (it’s okay if you can’t right now, but ASAP) the fish will be fine. Water changes daily or every other day. Try to get some live rock in there from the DT. This is how I made a makeshift QT. Works forever basically if you stay on top of keeping it clean.

OP
OP
H

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get a container, anything that hold water. 2 liter bottle, large Tupperware, anything like that. Throw an air stone in it and try to get a heater in there if you can (it’s okay if you can’t right now, but ASAP) the fish will be fine. Water changes daily or every other day. Try to get some live rock in there from the DT. This is how I made a makeshift QT. Works forever basically if you stay on top of keeping it clean.
Okay thank you

OP
OP
H

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update us on how he does and if he makes it through the night!
Good luck!
Well guys sadly the fish died when I woke up this morning. I got about a gallon tuber ware and put that airstone in it and was hoping the fish would make it but sadly didn’t. I really don’t understand because like I said everything else in my tank is doing great and this fish didn’t even make it a week but I added a pistol shrimp and cleaner shrimp at the same time and they’re doing fine

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try isolating the fish in a QT tank with an air stone if you can, it sounds pretty sick. If you can’t isolate, put an air stone in the biocube for now, hopefully someone with disease knowledge can help you on medication :)

I agree. But if this problem is caused by disease, it has already infected the rest of the tank. I would approach this as if the entire tank is infected, even though other fish seem fine.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a airstone connected to a volcano in my freshwater tank but no extra airstone to put in my reef tank

Air stones and pumps are relatively inexpensive. You can probably get what you need for about $20.

OP
OP
H

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. But if this problem is caused by disease, it has already infected the rest of the tank. I would approach this as if the entire tank is infected, even though other fish seem fine.
Yeah but I have no idea what disease it could of had if any. It literally was fine a few days ago. Here’s a pic

1DBE66C8-1EC0-48D8-81CF-4CC362F90CC8.jpeg

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For future reference just because I haven’t seen this mentioned yet in this thread; long acclimations are good for fish bought locally but can be deadly for shipped fish.

If you get a fish shipped again, find out from the vendor what the salinity is that the fish ships at, make a bucket of fresh saltwater to match (or match your QT tank), and when you get the fish float the bag for 15 minutes to get the temperature to match then put the fish straight into the new container without any of its shipping water. Then you can slowly raise/lower the salinity to match your DT (if you’re skipping QT). This way the fish doesn’t get ammonia burns.

And, there are other diseases (flukes, velvet, perhaps more) that can attack the gills so keep an eye on your other fish especially since it sounds like the yellow watchmen wasn’t quarantined. You can make plans now for how to treat your other fish if they get sick and hopefully you won’t need to act on those plans but at least you’ll be prepared if you do have to act.

OP
OP
H

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For future reference just because I haven’t seen this mentioned yet in this thread; long acclimations are good for fish bought locally but can be deadly for shipped fish.

If you get a fish shipped again, find out from the vendor what the salinity is that the fish ships at, make a bucket of fresh saltwater to match (or match your QT tank), and when you get the fish float the bag for 15 minutes to get the temperature to match then put the fish straight into the new container without any of its shipping water. Then you can slowly raise/lower the salinity to match your DT (if you’re skipping QT). This way the fish doesn’t get ammonia burns.

And, there are other diseases (flukes, velvet, perhaps more) that can attack the gills so keep an eye on your other fish especially since it sounds like the yellow watchmen wasn’t quarantined. You can make plans now for how to treat your other fish if they get sick and hopefully you won’t need to act on those plans but at least you’ll be prepared if you do have to act.
Well I checked salinity of the water the fish was shipped in and it was 1.020 my water is 1.025. And you mean make a batch of saltwater that’s the same salinity as the fish is in already and then put him in that QT tank? And then slowly raise the salinity of that water to my DT?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but I have no idea what disease it could of had if any. It literally was fine a few days ago. Here’s a pic

1DBE66C8-1EC0-48D8-81CF-4CC362F90CC8.jpeg

Well... the thing to consider is that he may have taken something along with him when he was packaged.

Labored breathing may have been something along the line of Velvet. Was it exhibiting any other behaviors, like swimming into the flow of power heads?

I would suggest doing a complete test of your water. Always post water test results when dealing with a situation like this.

OP
OP
H

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... the thing to consider is that he may have taken something along with him when he was packaged.

Labored breathing may have been something along the line of Velvet. Was it exhibiting any other behaviors, like swimming into the flow of power heads?

I would suggest doing a complete test of your water. Always post water test results when dealing with a situation like this.
What should I test my water for? Like nitrates and ammonia? And no all it was really doing was just laying on the sand bed with heavy breathing and then would like fall to it’s side and then get back up fast and continue heavy breathing. Definitely lack of oxygen somehow

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion:

Never Skip Quarantining!

OP
OP
H

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion:

Never Skip Quarantining!
I know this now! Going to PetSmart today to pick up a small 3 gallon tank with airstone and filter. I’ll use a small piece of live rock I have too from my DT

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 21 46.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 23 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • None.

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.7%

Back