Yellow Watchman Goby - pairing and turning white?

Daniel Vickery

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 26, 2017
Messages
26
Reaction score
6
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
553A5346-F4F7-4DEC-9075-D60CE0634964.jpeg


recently got a fellow watchman goby and a small shrimp to pair in my tank. The shrimp has a nice burrow under a rock but after a week the shrimp and goby have not found one another / started to pair, any way to encourage this?

Also noted the goby’s color in some patches has changed from yellow to white/grayish. See pics, any idea what this might be? He’s eating well.

DACC8AA4-2550-4F3A-8485-B55096C27FFA.jpeg
 
The males stay yellow and the females turn more white-ish as they sexually begin to mature.
 
The males stay yellow and the females turn more white-ish as they sexually begin to mature.
In patches though? I was thinking it looked bacterial, not that I have the experience to say one way or the other.
 
In patches though? I was thinking it looked bacterial, not that I have the experience to say one way or the other.
Absolutely, could be bacterial, you never can be sure. But this is a very common occurrence with YWG.
 
Absolutely, could be bacterial, you never can be sure. But this is a very common occurrence with YWG.
Good to know. Planning on adding a ywg or a Randall's.
 
I have a mated pair and neither one has a stitch of yellow on them. They are both light tan with brown rings. I can't get a picture because they only come out of their hole at feeding time. I'll see if I can find something on line.

Found one....they both look like this guy:

Yellow Goby.jpg
 
I purchased a yellow watchman goby about three weeks ago to hopefully pair with one of the two pistol shrimp I have. So far he prefers the top of my gyre.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 12 46.2%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new