yellow watchman goby pistol pair help

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a very tiny ywg (less than 1.5in) and a white caribbean pistol shrimp. They've only been in the tank for almost 2 days and have not paired. I've seen so many posts about caribbean pistols not pairing and being too aggressive. Anyways, I am working on catching the pistol and going to swap it for another. Catching these things is a pain...

My question: I know ywg pair a lot with tigers but can they also pair with candy canes? My tank is only 20g and my ywg is so tiny so I thought the candy cane would be the better choice since it is smaller as well.

(pic of current pistol shrimp before I put him in my tank)

shrimp.jpg

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe they pair. While tigers are more recommended for ywg, candy canes could also work.
I have a very tiny ywg (less than 1.5in) and a white caribbean pistol shrimp. They've only been in the tank for almost 2 days and have not paired. I've seen so many posts about caribbean pistols not pairing and being too aggressive. Anyways, I am working on catching the pistol and going to swap it for another. Catching these things is a pain...

My question: I know ywg pair a lot with tigers but can they also pair with candy canes? My tank is only 20g and my ywg is so tiny so I thought the candy cane would be the better choice since it is smaller as well.

(pic of current pistol shrimp before I put him in my tank)

shrimp.jpg

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe they pair. While tigers are more recommended for ywg, candy canes could also work.
I don't think they do either. Trying to catch with a trap and somehow it got the food out but didn't go in the trap lol. Looks like I had some trap building flaws the first time...

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ywg used to pair with my candy cane for 2 years before the shrimp died.
That gives me some hope! I want to get it right this time. My current shrimp is way larger than my goby which scares me too, especially since they may not pair

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think they do either. Trying to catch with a trap and somehow it got the food out but didn't go in the trap lol. Looks like I had some trap building flaws the first time...
use the forum search and look for "trapping pistol shrimp" theres a lot of good posts about it on here.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back