Yellow watchmen goby white spots

Hunter2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow watchmen goby has been in my tank for over a year now, and the past 2-3 weeks he hasn't come out as much and I havnt seen him eat. Today I saw him for the first time in about 6 days. I had feared the worst that he had passed away and his pistol shrimp partner had eaten his corpse. But today I saw him come out, he looked skinnier then normal with dark bands around him and some white patches. Along with some either white mucus or sand in its mouth. (Videos of him below) I'm currently going to try and catch him and put him into the QT tank to monitor him more closely. Any advice or knowledge would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Snapchat-1149290719.mp4
    18.1 MB
  • Snapchat-1229817014.mp4
    26.1 MB

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disappearing for several days to a week is not unusual. Mine does that every so often... I too thought he had died at one point, but he always seems to reappear.

I see the band and the white patches. What's more bothersome is his respiration rate... he's breathing fast, albeit not horribly.
Let's call in the experts: @Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Looking at this fish- A couple things noticed. The loose skin and rot around the mouth which points to next concern
What type of sand bedding are you using and is it coarse or medium?
What test kit(s) are you using ?

What is ammonia-ph-nitrate-temp-salinity ?

Quarantine will be good as you will weant to treat with Kanaplex or metroplex +Focus for the mouth.
Is fish eating?

Increase oxygen as its respiration rate is elevated

OP
OP
H

Hunter2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at this fish- A couple things noticed. The loose skin and rot around the mouth which points to next concern

Quarantine will be good as you will weant to treat with Kanaplex or metroplex +Focus for the mouth.
Is fish eating?

Sand is normal grain ig, not huge not super small, definitely a softer sand not coarse, so around medium. temp is 77-78, 0 amonia, oh is 8-8.2, nitrate is 0-2, salinity is 1.025-6. I have tons of surface agatation and an egg crate lid. I use API liquid test kits. I was looking at getting pimafix, would one of those be better?

OP
OP
H

Hunter2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is fish eating?

I should probably mention this is a 55 gallon mixed reef

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Sand is normal grain ig, not huge not super small, definitely a softer sand not coarse, so around medium. temp is 77-78, 0 amonia, oh is 8-8.2, nitrate is 0-2, salinity is 1.025-6. I have tons of surface agatation and an egg crate lid. I use API liquid test kits. I was looking at getting pimafix, would one of those be better?
Pimafix is nothing more than a tonic with teak tree oil. I asked on bedding as the sand appears to be sharp
I also wonder about water quality and unfortunately API is notorious for false readings hence the Low price for a master test kit and has let down many reefers. I suspect ammonia and nitrate may be a little elevated.
Treatment will be essential with the forementioned meds. Maracyn 2 is another option.
The sandbed seems to have larger grain pieces with shell and may be cutting its mouth up during sifting. Fine sand is best for these guys

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hunter2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pimafix is nothing more than a tonic with teak tree oil. I asked on bedding as the sand appears to be sharp
I also wonder about water quality and unfortunately API is notorious for false readings hence the Low price for a master test kit and has let down many reefers. I suspect ammonia and nitrate may be a little elevated.
Treatment will be essential with the forementioned meds. Maracyn 2 is another option.
Gotcha, the sand around him has broken shells from the shrimp so maybe that's why, the tank just had a waterchange and has a decent fuge and skimmer so water quality is definitely good. The tanks also been up and running for over a year and is growing sps very well so I'm not worried about the water quality. I'm trying my best to catch him but the odds of him coming out when I'm around are very low as this is the first time I've seen him in a week. I'll order some of those meds tho. Thanks for the help

OP
OP
H

Hunter2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, the sand around him has broken shells from the shrimp so maybe that's why, the tank just had a waterchange and has a decent fuge and skimmer so water quality is definitely good. The tanks also been up and running for over a year and is growing sps very well so I'm not worried about the water quality. I'm trying my best to catch him but the odds of him coming out when I'm around are very low as this is the first time I've seen him in a week. I'll order some of those meds tho. Thanks for the help

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
f you end up moving it to an isolation tank, I would consider giving it a 5 minute FW dip as you move it over. The elevated respiration rate is what concerns me first, and if it is caused by ectoparasites, the FW dip may buy you some time.

Are the other fish in the tank all breathing normally?

Jay

OP
OP
H

Hunter2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
f you end up moving it to an isolation tank, I would consider giving it a 5 minute FW dip as you move it over. The elevated respiration rate is what concerns me first, and if it is caused by ectoparasites, the FW dip may buy you some time.

Are the other fish in the tank all breathing normally?

Jay
Yep all my other fish along with 2 bar gobys that live with him are doing amazing, I doubt I will be able to catch him but if I do a FW dip was on my list

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 52 41.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 63 50.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back