Yellow Wrasse

Poseidon83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 2 yellow wrasses to my tank 1 week ago. They were previously in quarantine for 3 weeks and did fine.

I just noticed one of them has a white bulging eye and his fin also appears white on the tip.

Any idea what’s happening? Should I pull him from the tank?

He seems to act fine and accepts food. All other finish appear healthy.

6D3F9004-CA21-4B5C-8503-9005E3C470C0.jpeg 5A141B13-1385-4753-9DF9-6D7B1AACA9BC.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 2 yellow wrasses to my tank 1 week ago. They were previously in quarantine for 3 weeks and did fine.

I just noticed one of them has a white bulging eye and his fin also appears white on the tip.

6D3F9004-CA21-4B5C-8503-9005E3C470C0.jpeg 5A141B13-1385-4753-9DF9-6D7B1AACA9BC.jpeg
What were they treated with while in quarantine?
Single bulging eyes like this are often from an injury. They often get better on their own in a few weeks, but this is a pretty severe case. The treatment is typically Maracyn 1/erythromycin in a treatment tank.
You do want to try and figure out if the fish are fighting and causing injury.
Jay

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks to be something like Popeye. The fish probably got it from an injury or trying to clean itself. If you can catch him remove the fish into a qt system, although if he‘s a bit of a pain to catch I would suggest leaving him there as you don‘t want stress him out or cause himself to get another injury. I have had more experience with Popeye in freshwater, but Im sure that it’ll get better in a few weeks if given the proper treatment. Keep an eye on the other fish if you don’t remove him as they could be the cause of the injury.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It looks to be something like Popeye. The fish probably got it from an injury or trying to clean itself. If you can catch him remove the fish into a qt system, although if he‘s a bit of a pain to catch I would suggest leaving him there as you don‘t want stress him out or cause himself to get another injury. I have had more experience with Popeye in freshwater, but Im sure that it’ll get better in a few weeks if given the proper treatment. Keep an eye on the other fish if you don’t remove him as they could be the cause of the injury.
As Jay stated, even at popeye state, often caused by injury or bacterial issue. Ethromyacin is the best treatment for single eye issues. If bacterial can be confirmed, maracyn which can be mixed with maracyn/maracyn 1 to treat both,
For now, I would treat with Maracyn
As for the mention of fish fighting, best method is to set your cell phone on video mode for 45 mins, do a light feeding and walk away - YOU MUST WALK AWAY.
The aggressor will usually try to hog the food and chase other away. Come back and review video and you may be able to see your culprit

yenniffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did your wrasse make it? I’m going through the same thing right now. I got 2 of them recently and they have been mostly hiding but I just got home from work and notice one of them with one Popeye and missing most of the fin. Looks just like yours.

OP
OP
Poseidon83

Poseidon83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did your wrasse make it? I’m going through the same thing right now. I got 2 of them recently and they have been mostly hiding but I just got home from work and notice one of them with one Popeye and missing most of the fin. Looks just like yours.
Unfortunately he did not make it. The second one is doing well though.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously fish aggression

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back