Yellowstripe Cardinals

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't see much in terms of recent threads on these fish. Anyone keeping a group of them? Any words of wisdom? My sense is they're social when young, but less so as they age.

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 7 of them back in 2015 for my old 75g, in hopes for a shoaling effect due to my Yelloe Tang and Flame Angel. After the 1st week, they started dispersing where there would each have a bottom section of the tank as the actinics took over.

Very voracious eaters. Moreso than I expected. So much so, that they always startled my tang and made it hide for cover when mysis hit the tank, sometimes when it came back out most mysis was eaten.

A year later, only 3 were left as the others just disappeared as they bickered more and more.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue Eyed Cardinals tend to shoal pretty well. I've got 3 of the original 6 left in one tank. I've had them about a year and a half and they've always stayed together. Just got another 6 that are in a spare tank for now that will eventually go into the big tank. They're all shoaling also.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellowstripes are comparable to other similarly shaped cardinals. They don't stay together as mentioned, but they aren't as murderous as bangaiis, so in a large tank just go their seperate ways.

fabulousfavia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept some yellowstripes if you have at least four thry will school 2 or 3 of them tend to separate.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept them in larger groups(6-8), and find that they seperate pretty quickly.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back