Yellowtail Tamarin Wrasse

awood0909

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know where to order yellowtail tamarin wrasses? I have been having difficulty locating them.

OP
OP
A

awood0909

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive heard some bad things about fresh marine. Have you ever ordered from them before? We aren't too far from each other, I'm in norman.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think Quality Marine has had them. My LFS received a couple this week from there so if your LFS can order from there I would look into it.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never ordered from any companies mentioned so far. Honestly I ONLY order from 90% of the time from liveaquaria or rest 10% from bluezooaquatics.

OP
OP
A

awood0909

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I will try and see if I can get someone to order from quality for me. The arrive alive guarantee from nyaquatics sounds nice too though. Gary, what store did you see them at?

YellowFinsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does a male change color? Do you have any pics of them?

It is very nuanced. I don't have pics at the moment. The spots on its face is spreading out and darkening. The fish is also growing larger. In a few more months, I probably wouldn't recognize the fish.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Male:
151-3_PA281232_Anampses_meleagrides_male.jpg

OP
OP
A

awood0909

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is pretty cool. I just ordered two from nyaquatic. Ill post pics when they get in.

OP
OP
A

awood0909

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received mine. I ordered two and they are both healthy and picking at the rocks like crazy. Ill post a good pic of them when I get one. If I had seen those too, I would have ordered them also. I may still do so.

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NYAquatic just also got in some red tail tamarins. Such beauties!
Ive been waiting for a red tail for 4 months. Currrently have my male isoceles fairy wrasse in my 20long QT by himself and he is eating well. Today was day 4 so I just dosed prazi.

Would it be a bad idea to add a red tail to QT now? Ideally it would have its own qt due to how fickle they are. But I dont wanna rush the isoceles out.

YellowFinsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been waiting for a red tail for 4 months. Currrently have my male isoceles fairy wrasse in my 20long QT by himself and he is eating well. Today was day 4 so I just dosed prazi.

Would it be a bad idea to add a red tail to QT now? Ideally it would have its own qt due to how fickle they are. But I dont wanna rush the isoceles out.

In my experience, red tail tamarins are not the type of fish you'll want to quarantine similar to how we quarantine other fish. This fish is weak and any stress (like chemical treatments, lack of food, no sand) will kill it in a couple days to a week. I've killed about 6 (bought them at $100 a piece) figuring this out. So to "quarantine" it, I had to use other methods.

The way I quarantine this fish is to acclimate it to my established nano reef tank right away and treat through medicated foods. The reason I say this is because this is such a weak fish (like so very weak), so you would want to give it the best chance of survival. Let us know what you decide to do.

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, red tail tamarins are not the type of fish you'll want to quarantine similar to how we quarantine other fish. This fish is weak and any stress (like chemical treatments, lack of food, no sand) will kill it in a couple days to a week. I've killed about 6 (bought them at $100 a piece) figuring this out. So to "quarantine" it, I had to use other methods.

The way I quarantine this fish is to acclimate it to my established nano reef tank right away and treat through medicated foods. The reason I say this is because this is such a weak fish (like so very weak), so you would want to give it the best chance of survival. Let us know what you decide to do.

I got you. I've been successful getting leopard wrasses acclimated well, and have read that the red tail is even harder.

I don't know why I do this to myself. Maybe I like the challenge?

YellowFinsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got you. I've been successful getting leopard wrasses acclimated well, and have read that the red tail is even harder.

I don't know why I do this to myself. Maybe I like the challenge?

Some leopard wrasses are easier than others just like how some tamarin wrasses are easier than others. I've had zero death with yellow chest, black back, or even yellow tail tamarins. Reds, mostly all the time. For leopard wrasses, potter's give me the hardest time - comes in dead or comes in great condition and eats well, then dead a couple weeks later.

I'm in love with these fish though. On a different note, I just bought myself a femininus wrasse the other week and that fish didn't even make the first night.

Give the red tail a try though, they're becoming harder and harder to find. I have a female that is transitioning into a male and it's by far the longest one I've kept which is hitting at the 8 month mark. Most don't make it past 1-2 weeks.

Back