*Yelp* Sudden Rise in Temp!

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

Tank running a year...2 days ago noted my Temp in tank was 78.9 F. I usually like to keep mine between 77-78, its been working for me.

Using Eheim Jager 200w. I recalibrated it. No change. Turned the blue knob lower...didn't help. Had a spare one (fresh out box), woke up today temp 81.9!! So I unplugged the heater, put the old one back in set it to like 75...but am waiting for the water to cool down a bit before plugging back in!

What gives?!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sources are heater and pumps
Use a manual thermometer to verify temp and if correct, look at those sources

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure the thing your getting your temp from is right? Maybe try verifying the temp with another source?
I have a second dig thermometer to clarify. And they basically showing same reading.

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sources are heater and pumps
Use a manual thermometer to verify temp and if correct, look at those sources
Just mean nothing has really changed. I live in Canada and we have a polar vortex going on right now lol.. tanks been in the basement out of sun. But we keep our house well circulated with heat

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Is tank below or near heat outlet ?

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is tank below or near heat outlet ?
No. Literally all has been well for a year. And then 2 days ago 78.9...so I calibrated it. Maybe I should have just turned the blue knob to lower temp instead of recalibration?

Just want that happy medium again lol dont like my temp fluctuating.

I turned the heater off and will wait until I hit 77.6ish...the dial was at 78 so I put it down to 75...and see what happens then. But surprised the new one in box put my temp up to almost 82. Dial said 78 and they usually come pre-calibrated.

Can't figure it out

58e970b2-3f88-4897-87ba-5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither of my two Eheims have been close in their calibration out of the box.
I ended up connecting them them to an Inkbird controller to keep them in the range I wanted, then from there dialling them in (just setting the temp and ignoring the calibration dial). The inkbird was handy because it gave a live digital readout of the temp and would keep the temp from skyrocketing if the heater was way out. It did make setting the heater a bit more complicated though, in some cases it was hard to tell if the inkbird or the heater was the one turning off.

I’ve been using this model for about a year now (with aquarium :
https://www.ink-bird.com/products-temperature-controller-itc306t.html
Calibration seems decent out of the box. There is about 1C variation between it and my thermometer.

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither of my two Eheims have been close in their calibration out of the box.
I ended up connecting them them to an Inkbird controller to keep them in the range I wanted, then from there dialling them in (just setting the temp and ignoring the calibration dial). The inkbird was handy because it gave a live digital readout of the temp and would keep the temp from skyrocketing if the heater was way out. It did make setting the heater a bit more complicated though, in some cases it was hard to tell if the inkbird or the heater was the one turning off.

I’ve been using this model for about a year now (with aquarium :
https://www.ink-bird.com/products-temperature-controller-itc306t.html
Calibration seems decent out of the box. There is about 1C variation between it and my thermometer.
Ahhh i see. So I set the temp on the heater say like 78 then put a range of Temps i want on the Inkbird i.e lowest temp 76 to highest 78.3 and it will attempt to turn the heater off if its getting to hot, or on if its getting too cold?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes. I run
Ahhh i see. So I set the temp on the heater say like 78 then put a range of Temps i want on the Inkbird i.e lowest temp 76 to highest 78.3 and it will attempt to turn the heater off if its getting to hot, or on if its getting too cold?
titanium units and are connected to ink bird and apex unit

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 33 60.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back