Yep I messed up

Poseidon!

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I had new tank síndrome and over fed. This caused a bloom . Now my tanks is really foggy. My coral is dieing off. Ps my hermit crab are one . And I have been trying to suck up some of what I think is decaying food Man this is hard And taxing on me I know I am new to this but I also just want my pets to be healthy :(
E0CBEBCE-FC81-4DF6-8774-D4BA9301D616.jpeg

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suck out as much of that as you can. It is decaying. Once the bacteria multiplies enough, they will get to it but it is causing issues in the current time.

You just need to wait for things to clear up, the ammonia to back down to zero.

When you start back up, just realize that cycles are never done. These things are cyclical and ongoing. New additions take time for the tank to ramp up and change with this cycle. The whole danger of people saying that tanks are cycled is dangerous for these reasons - people think that they have somehow turned a corner or that things are done when all that happened is that you have enough of a base to slowly, smartly and cautiously progress a bit. It is better to use more appropriate descriptions and terms like you are creating an ecosystem so don't go too fast to where it cannot keep up.

The bacteria will build up (grow in numbers) while clearing up this event. It will be easier next time, but please go very, very slow and be patient.

OP
OP
Poseidon!

Poseidon!

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suck out as much of that as you can. It is decaying. Once the bacteria multiplies enough, they will get to it but it is causing issues in the current time.

You just need to wait for things to clear up, the ammonia to back down to zero.

When you start back up, just realize that cycles are never done. These things are cyclical and ongoing. New additions take time for the tank to ramp up and change with this cycle. The whole danger of people saying that tanks are cycled is dangerous for these reasons - people think that they have somehow turned a corner or that things are done when all that happened is that you have enough of a base to slowly, smartly and cautiously progress a bit. It is better to use more appropriate descriptions and terms like you are creating an ecosystem so don't go too fast to where it cannot keep up.

The bacteria will build up (grow in numbers) while clearing up this event. It will be easier next time, but please go very, very slow and be patient.
Thank you. For this. I will. For sure

OP
OP
Poseidon!

Poseidon!

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. For this. I will. For sure
Okay so it’s still foggy. And I have been cleaning. Would a small Uv light help I’m the pump area. I am not giving up on this. I know it was all my fault.

Attachments

• A3D42FAC-FF00-481E-BDA5-BEA8EB685D01.png
    A3D42FAC-FF00-481E-BDA5-BEA8EB685D01.png
    310.3 KB · Views: 7

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so it’s still foggy. And I have been cleaning. Would a small Uv light help I’m the pump area. I am not giving up on this. I know it was all my fault.
A UV sterilizer only kills microorganisms and pathogens/bacteria. I'd check po4, ammonia, no3 and nitrite, then do a large water change and WAIT IT OUT. Cycling a new tank can take many months and it's important to not put anything in until your parameters are stable

DJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember slow and steady
feeding routines start off minimum and work your way up so you know the correct amount to feed without a massive spike in food decay

I set up my tank and didn’t really put anything in it for over 2 months let it settle then started to build up live stock slowly and my feed routine built up slowly with the stock

I see some great advice in this thread so you will be ok then once tank settled start back up slowly again

OP
OP
Poseidon!

Poseidon!

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if its only a 5 gallon then just do 4-5 gallon water change....
Whats in your tank that you are feeding so much?
I believe I had new tank síndrome and over fed. This caused a bloom . Now my tanks is really foggy. My coral is dieing off. Ps my hermit crab are one . And I have been trying to suck up some of what I think is decaying food Man this is hard And taxing on me I know I am new to this but I also just want my pets to be healthy :(
E0CBEBCE-FC81-4DF6-8774-D4BA9301D616.jpeg
Just remember slow and steady
feeding routines start off minimum and work your way up so you know the correct amount to feed without a massive spike in food decay

I set up my tank and didn’t really put anything in it for over 2 months let it settle then started to build up live stock slowly and my feed routine built up slowly with the stock

I see some great advice in this thread so you will be ok then once tank settled start back up slowly again
good news. I left my tank alone for a hand full of days and the bloom went away. Each day I was getting up as much of the gray stuff ( I think just letter over food ). And in about 5 days it cleared up. I did louse a few corals but I understand it’s a learning process and definitely not a cheep hobby. I appreciate all the info and tips everyone gave me.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 140 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back