Yet another fish suggestion thread...

Jahalu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like some recommendations for my tank from some more experienced folks. I have a 75g semi cube mixed reef with lots of open water space above.
Currently I have: starry blenny, blue spot sleeper goby, skunk clown, ocellaris, bangaii and firefish.

I would like something that swims actively mid-upper tank. Right now, there is not much motion. My skunk is hosting in bta. My ocellaris is hosting the far upper left corner of the tank lol. My firefish hides a lot. So, the only fish mid tank is a hovering bangaii. Any thoughts? I don't want tangs. Something on the smaller side. I'm not sure a wrasse will swim above the rocks enough. And I'm scared of keeping anthias, although I do already feed 2x a day. But something anthias-like, but a little easier to keep would be perfect.
Thanks ahead of time!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish my cats would get along, but they do not. You are going to have to take a chance, this hobby is expensive and nothing is set in stone.

Flashy Fins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse and anthias are the fish that came to mind before I got to the end of your post. I think it's worth taking a chance on the right ones.

Most anthias do need frequent meals, but I think your feeding schedule could work with a bartlett's anthias, which are a bit less demanding. They can get very aggressive with each other, so maybe just stick to one.

I also second the suggestion for a McCosker's. I just got one myself, and he is out and about all the time, which encourages his QT mates to come out, too. Many other flasher and fairy wrasses are great, as well.

Chalk bass are great little fish with a lot of personality that swim out in the open a good bit. Mine ate a few sexy shrimp before he jumped out of my tank, but he was worth it. Some are dull with more brown and others are a shimmering blue, so look for a nice one at your LFS.

I would suggest an orchid dottyback, but it might pick on your firefish, so that would be a riskier addition.

jetmaker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed most dotty backs to be very aggressive. I don't keep them anymore anyway.

OP
OP
Jahalu

Jahalu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Thanks everyone. I think I will go with a wrasse of some type.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the activity and color of fairy wrasses. Watch out for the skunk, they are considered aggressive, towards new fish. JME

Last edited:

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also recommend wrasse our 3 are very active swimming throughout the rocks and tank. Sometimes they tend to hide when added but they'll be active when settled in. Flasher wrasse can put on quite the show also.

tjgr34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orchid dottyback! I'm on my second (first went carpet surfing), and love the fish. Although they do spend time in the rocks, both of mine turned into beggars as soon as they got settled in the tank. They're captive-bred, too!

The only caveat with these guys is that you've got to be sure you're getting an orchid (fridmani) and not a strawberry/magenta/purple (porphyreus). The latter are crazy aggressive.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for fairy and flasher wrasses. I would recommend getting a few as that will only increase their activities and displays.

As far as anthias, a small group of dispars or randalls. These species are more peaceful with each other and do well in groups, but are still on the easier side of the scale for anthias.

Other open water swimmers would include a group of zebra or scissortail dartfish, a group of green chromis, grammistes blenny too. A midas blenny utilizes the rocks, but is alao quite active.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for fairy and flasher wrasses. I would recommend getting a few as that will only increase their activities and displays.

As far as anthias, a small group of dispars or randalls. These species are more peaceful with each other and do well in groups, but are still on the easier side of the scale for anthias.

Other open water swimmers would include a group of zebra or scissortail dartfish, a group of green chromis, grammistes blenny too. A midas blenny utilizes the rocks, but is alao quite active.
+1 on fairies color and displays. My male flame's colors greatly intensified with the addition of my Rhomboids. Looks like a totally different fish. Flashes all of the time now.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back