Yet another Nem ID

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at a LFS today and saw this guy. He's different from my RBTA's and was too pretty to pass up. Well, the store was selling him as a, wait for it... " Blueish-Pinkish Anemone". When I asked an employee to elaborate he said "idk, long tentacle?" Yep, they were spot on huh. The nem does appear healthy, mouth closed and sticky, latched onto my finger when I transported him. After standing there for a half hour trying to ID him, I do have a best guess. But, I wanna see everyone else's opinion before I say. The tentacles are about an inch long.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

OP
OP
haleyf1024

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No pic of the foot, it's firmly attached to the rock. But it's a dark brown color though. You can kinda see it here.

image.jpeg

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still sticking with sebae, but @AcroNem knows his stuff with anemones, he should be able to help you.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies for my late reply, this actually is looking and behaving more like a H. magnifica. Being flat against the glass is a clue. The lighter tentacles kind of throw it off, but the undertones are right. sebae usually have longer tentacles. Is the base nice and thick/wide?

OP
OP
haleyf1024

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And that's what I had been thinking as well, Magnifica. @AcroNem yes, it's thick and nearly the as wide as the oral disk.
Today the very very ends of his tentacles have the purple speck that sebaes stereotypically have, so the magnificents have them as well? They are the same genus, so I'd assume so.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being the same genus there are things that will be similar, sebae should be more pronounced, as it looks like that color on the tips isn't very large on yours. I still think the color is a bit light, the white-ish color is tricking us to think it's a sebae. That big, flat base and the structure looks a lot like H. magnifica, I'm going to stick with that.

OP
OP
haleyf1024

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't be surprised if he's super bleached, the lfs I was at keeps their nem tank (30-35" deep mind you) under 1 of those cheap LED strip lights you can buy at petsmart for $30-50. He had the most color in that tank sadly.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah. I didn't think the lighter color was very natural, but knowing that I'm confident saying it's a bleached out magnifica. It looks healthy enough aside from color, so under your (I'm assuming) better lighting and with target feeding it should recover.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back