Yo! Check it out!

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look what just popped up on Diver's Den! Care level is listed as "difficult" ... I wonder why.

1697344651294.png

https://www.liveaquaria.com/divers-den/product/613461/warty-sea-slug-pair&s=nlh&r=
(https://web.archive.org/web/2023101...n/product/613461/warty-sea-slug-pair&s=nlh&r=)

1697344615445.png

https://www.liveaquaria.com/divers-den/product/613358/warty-sea-slug-trio&s=nlh&r=
(https://web.archive.org/web/2023101...n/product/613358/warty-sea-slug-trio&s=nlh&r=)

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another instance of liveaquaria selling animals that they shouldnt be.....
this will absolutely die in someones tank. :(

"All nudibranchs are carnivorous. Their lifespan in the wild is approximately one year, depending on species, but it is usually considerably shorter in the aquarium due to their natural food source either being entirely unavailable or in short supply. They are predatory animals that usually feed on a specific food source, such as anemones, gorgonians, hydroids, tunicates, or sponges, and they are such specialized feeders that they may only feed upon one species of a particular group of animals. For example, just knowing a nudibranch eats sponges is not enough, as it will often eat only one or a few species of sponges."

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those wondering, these nudibranchs are highly specialized sponge eaters (they each only eat like 1-3 species of sponge, and they will starve if they don't have access to those sponges in sufficient quantities).
These ones above (and the one in the middle of the second pic that looks like them) are Phyllidia varicosa - they're known to eat the sponge Axinyssa cf. aculeata, and a Hymentactdon sp.
The pink one in the bottom right is Phyllidiella pustulosa - it feeds on Acanthella cavernosa, Acanthella variabilis, Phakellia carduus, an Axinyssa sp., and reportedly one or more species of "Stylinos" (the genus name Stylinos is not accepted at the moment; the genus has been accepted as Hymeniacidon, but the reports may be referring to species that are now accepted from other genera such as Ulosa as well). The darker pink one in the top left is probably Phyllidiella nigra (though it could potentially be P. burni as well), which feeds on Axinyssa aff. variabilis.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why collect these?
People see them (or other pretty nudibranchs) and buy them without knowing their needs - it’s entirely irresponsible to collect them for sale in the hobby at this point, but people still do because unsuspecting newcomers don’t know any better and buy them.

OP
OP
WheatToast

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another instance of liveaquaria selling animals that they shouldnt be.....
this will absolutely die in someones tank. :(

"All nudibranchs are carnivorous. Their lifespan in the wild is approximately one year, depending on species, but it is usually considerably shorter in the aquarium due to their natural food source either being entirely unavailable or in short supply. They are predatory animals that usually feed on a specific food source, such as anemones, gorgonians, hydroids, tunicates, or sponges, and they are such specialized feeders that they may only feed upon one species of a particular group of animals. For example, just knowing a nudibranch eats sponges is not enough, as it will often eat only one or a few species of sponges."
Exactly! I really do wonder what LiveAquaria is getting them to eat... if anything. Chances are that they have been starving for weeks.
People see them (or other pretty nudibranchs) and buy them without knowing their needs - it’s entirely irresponsible to collect them for sale in the hobby at this point, but people still do because unsuspecting newcomers don’t know any better and buy them.
There is also probably a decent amount of misinformation floating around about nudibranchs. There are some vendors that claim that Hypselodoris bullocki will feed on algae when it is an obligate sponge eater.

Last edited:

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those wondering, these nudibranchs are highly specialized sponge eaters (they each only eat like 1-3 species of sponge, and they will starve if they don't have access to those sponges in sufficient quantities).

These ones above (and the one in the middle of the second pic that looks like them) are Phyllidia varicosa - they're known to eat the sponge Axinyssa cf. aculeata, and a Hymentactdon sp.

The pink one in the bottom right is Phyllidiella pustulosa - it feeds on Acanthella cavernosa, Acanthella variabilis, Phakellia carduus, an Axinyssa sp., and reportedly one or more species of "Stylinos" (the genus name Stylinos is not accepted at the moment; the genus has been accepted as Hymeniacidon, but the reports may be referring to species that are now accepted from other genera such as Ulosa as well). The darker pink one in the top left is probably Phyllidiella nigra (though it could potentially be P. burni as well), which feeds on Axinyssa aff. variabilis.
These are common here when I go diving and are sometimes sold at shops . NEVER buy a nudibranch just because it's pretty or even because the shop owner swears it ears fish poop. They don't only eat general sponges. The vast majority eat only 1 sponge species. This is absolutely irresponsible to sell them.

OP
OP
WheatToast

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are common here when I go diving and are sometimes sold at shops . NEVER buy a nudibranch just because it's pretty or even because the shop owner swears it ears fish poop. They don't only eat general sponges. The vast majority eat only 1 sponge species. This is absolutely irresponsible to sell them.
Plus, even if you did manage to keep one healthy, it probably would not last very long anyways since their lifespans range from a couple months to about a year (although having a steady supply through breeding, as with Berghia nudibranchs, would be a cool concept).
Sigh... oh to even imaging owning a tank with a self-sustaining population of healthy Spanish dancers (Hexabranchus sanguineus):

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back