You are missing a fish you need and probably don't even know it...

firemedix911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got them and love them. Can't really see them if you dont know what you are looking for until you feed the tank. One of the coolest things I get to admire in my tank. Awesome little guys.

OP
OP
jason_mazzy

jason_mazzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
liveaquaria had them on sale.. still pricey to me at $20 a pop. I feel like less than 5 is a waste.

DixieReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread. My lawnmower blenny was actually my first, and is still my favorite fish. Current one has so much personality, between his beer belly, crazy wiskers, and independent eyes. He is always up to something. He may be on the smaller side of the fish in my 250, but he is probably the smartest, and most confident, often seen hanging out with the triggers, and tangs. He is a man of the people (obviously he thinks he rules the tank), and very aware of his surroundings(he has been caught watching tv).

Fish Biscuit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a different type of barnacle blenny but it's defective. He ignored the barnacles & sits in the back of the tank in the rock work

Usually I see a dash across the tank once every few months. He changes spots once in a while & will sit in the front of the tank for a few days. Very personable fish when he's out but I don't see him much unfortunately.

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey where did you get these guys! I love them and I have had a large barnacle cluster in my tank in preparation but haven't seen any in stores. I live in southern orange county and love to look at the fish before purchase instead of doing online but if that what it take to get 3-5 I am ready to pull the trigger lol.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hitchin' a ride...
75d954d337123969b5c22653df3f65f1.jpg

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love barnacle blennies. I had two, might still have one or two. Losing fish to marine velvet and not sure if they are still there or not. But I love those guys. One would hide in the pukani rock facing the front to wait for the magical turkey baster who gifted him with food <g>. They love holes in rock, under rock between rock and sand in any little space. One of mine played at flirting with me. Very personable. I will get more and maybe a barnacle cluster from my LFS who carries them.
20170514_094123_resized.jpg

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Panamic Barnacle Blennies! I had 2 in my reef - "Streaker" and "Flash". If you've had one, you understand their names! One disappeared after being in my reef for about a year. The second one unfortunately was eaten by the Pelicier's Perchlet one day after they'd been living together for about 6 months I think. That was sad. :(

This is Streaker. He always had crap growing around his cubby hole because he'd always grab onto the snails and hermits and chuck them away. Territorial little bugger.
30789260943_c541721886_z.jpg

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anybody kept these with any other blenny? I have a Starry. Would there be problems? This is in a 120g tank.

OP
OP
jason_mazzy

jason_mazzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is really funny when they get close to each other. its usually about 1 inch or less then whatever one is in its hole opens its mouth wide open and acts like a lion

BluewaterLa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well written and interesting, thanks for sharing.
I will agree that there are several overlooked fish many people never give a second thought to that will provide more personality to the tank and keep everyone within sight of the tank entertained

BlennyKravitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have a cover on the tank? I have lost three beloved midas bennies to carpet surfing so I gave up on them. Blennies are my favorite feesh by far.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back