You can't have everything. Where would you put it?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh man, that's pipe organs with no polyps? I though it was Galaxaura macroalgae:

One of my favorites, but does not do well against ulva and bubble algae.
I wasn't sure if you meant the algae or had a mistype. I'd love more kinds of macros. But, chaeto and grape calupera say "nope"
I do have some red bubble algae in the sump. That stuff sure is pretty!

I mean really little amount too.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i keep losing corals. I don’t know what is happening. Even many of my most established corals are dissolving in front of my eyes
Which corals? Any changes in parameters? Any additions to the tank?

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which corals? Any changes in parameters? Any additions to the tank?
It seemed to start when I added the qt corals from the other tank but maybe earlier. RFAs went first, then zoas and simmiliar. Now I’m losing euphillia and a Duncan. The just like your nepthea mine just suddenly went from doing awesome to dissolving.
SPS is all doing fine.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'll just go ahead and leave these right here...

1000008551.jpg

1000008548.jpg

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now my theories are a sudden phosphate spike when adding all those rocks from the other tank. Other theory is somehow I got copper in the system from qt.
Added copper and other heavily metal removers.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I believe most of us do. Just not willing to chance them.
Yeah, they don't ship well at all. I drove 10 hours, round trip to pick this specimen up. Already out and about and happily hunting.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seemed to start when I added the qt corals from the other tank but maybe earlier. RFAs went first, then zoas and simmiliar. Now I’m losing euphillia and a Duncan. The just like your nepthea mine just suddenly went from doing awesome to dissolving.
SPS is all doing fine.
What’s your mag sitting at? It’s not the cure all but elevated 1300+ seems to be key with LPs and keeping them happy.. do you do water changes? Me personally when stuff goes south I run carbon and do a large water change and it seems to fix its self almost 99% of the time.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your mag sitting at? It’s not the cure all but elevated 1300+ seems to be key with LPs and keeping them happy.. do you do water changes? Me personally when stuff goes south I run carbon and do a large water change and it seems to fix its self almost 99% of the time.
It’s been sitting in the 1200. And I haven’t been doing water changes as often as I should. Did one last week and have another prepping for later today. But recently it’s gone down to monthly.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been sitting in the 1200. And I haven’t been doing water changes as often as I should. Did one last week and have another prepping for later today. But recently it’s gone down to monthly.
It’s the only thing that even rings a bell in my head if your sps are doing fine.. if alk spikes happen they would be the first to go and the rest wouldn’t be happy, but you got the opposite going on lol.. unless you nitrates and phosphates are really low and the corals are starving.. sps do fine with ulns or higher if acclimated properly over time.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the only thing that even rings a bell in my head if your sps are doing fine.. if alk spikes happen they would be the first to go and the rest wouldn’t be happy, but you got the opposite going on lol.. unless you nitrates and phosphates are really low and the corals are starving.. sps do fine with ulns or higher if acclimated properly over time.

Thanks
Added extra mag to the water change.
My phos is high (0.6) and I added more GFO and nitrates are at 9.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Halichoeres lapillus.. seems more Macropharyngodon to me.
Yeah, they are in taxonomical limbo. Originally described (by Randall, I believe) as Macropharyngodon, but later reclassified to Haliochores due to the lack of pharangeal teeth. That being said, DNA sequencing puts them more closely related to Macropharyngodon than Haliochores, so they are generally treated as such- especially given their appearance and behavior.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, they are in taxonomical limbo. Originally described (by Randall, I believe) as Macropharyngodon, but later reclassified to Haliochores due to the lack of pharangeal teeth. That being said, DNA sequencing puts them more closely related to Macropharyngodon than Haliochores, so they are generally treated as such- especially given their appearance and behavior.
Well whatever she is, she's adorable. Leopards are by far my favorite.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back