You can't have everything. Where would you put it?

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also really interesting how the look of the derasa changes so much depending on where you view it, top down looking the most pink on mine.
Just saw yours. Looks almost identical to mine I think. You have great taste!

IMG_0565.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I guess I need to talk about my aquascape. I don’t like it in this tank but I really need to redo it in the other tank so hopefully I win some free rock

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk 7.0
N 1.2
Ph 0.33
Mg 1110
Ca 370

So everything is low except Phosphate which is too high. Coral milk (TM) time. image.jpg
800ml RODI water
200ml vinegar (to lower Ph and increase soluability)
4tsp Calcium Hydroxide (for alk)
10ml ionic Nitrate (counteract vinegar and add some N)
A big spoon Magnesium
A big spoon Calcium

Pour in like 100ml per day

Last edited:
OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk 7.0
N 1.2
Ph 0.33
Mg 1110
Ca 370

So everything is low except Phosphate which is too high. Coral milk (TM) time. image.jpg
800ml RODI water
200ml vinegar (to lower Ph and increase soluability)
4tsp Calcium Hydroxide (for alk)
10ml ionic Nitrate (counteract vinegar and add some N)
A big spoon Magnesium
A big spoon Calcium

Pour in like 100ml per day
@Miami Reef Do you still not suggest carbon dosing to reduce phosphates even if you add nitrate to the mix?

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Miami Reef Do you still not suggest carbon dosing to reduce phosphates even if you add nitrate to the mix?
Every 50ppm NO3 reduced will add 2.3dKH alk.

There is a lot of phosphate bound to rocks, and denitrification can consume the organic carbon which will lower NO3 without consuming any PO4.

It’s just not effective nor efficient. Carbon dosing will lower the pH by increasing CO2 in the aquarium. I would just use GFO. I don’t believe carbon dosing can counteract the PO4 that comes out of the rocks or the daily additions of P from food.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every 50ppm NO3 reduced will add 2.3dKH alk.

There is a lot of phosphate bound to rocks, and denitrification can consume the organic carbon which will lower NO3 without consuming any PO4.

It’s just not effective nor efficient. Carbon dosing will lowering pH by increasing CO2 in the aquarium. I would just use GFO. I don’t believe carbon dosing can counteract the PO4 that comes out of the rocks or the daily additions of P from food.
Ugggh
But GFO is dirty and expensive. Ah well. Thanks Miami

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugggh
But GFO is dirty and expensive. Ah well. Thanks Miami
BRS GFO is not dirty in my experience. I put it in a reactor and put the output in a bucket until the water flows clear. Then I put the output tube back into the sump.

Lanthanum chloride also works, but some people have bad experiences with certain tangs (I personally never had a tang die from it).

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS GFO is not dirty in my experience. I put it in a reactor and put the output in a bucket until the water flows clear. Then I put the output tube back into the sump.

Lanthanum chloride also works, but some people have bad experiences with certain tangs (I personally never had a tang die from it).
I have lanthanum chloride but only for emergencies. I literally disconnect my sump, add it to the skimmer, and then wait a bit before turning the pumps back on. It can do scary stuff to the gills of fish from what I hear.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you win Dec? I'm still waiting on Jan poll to come out.
Yep… but I think he’s slowly giving up. I wonder if it’s to do with the sponsorship or maybe the lack of participation/voting sometimes. If it’s the sponsorship. I don’t think people are in it for the prizes. Certainly I’m not. I just enjoy the competition and I’d be happy to just get the badge. Shoot. Let me win one and then I’ll happily take over lol.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after a long 50hr week what better way to reward yourself then to do a long overdue complete clean out of my old eel tank sump. And by complete I mean complete. Moved all snails and urchins to the other tank. Got rid of all the water. Tossed most of the macro algae. All of the sand. Scrubbing it all.

Unfortunately any fans of bristle worms may hate me because I killed a ton of them.
IMG_0724.jpeg
IMG_0723.jpeg

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well after a long 50hr week what better way to reward yourself then to do a long overdue complete clean out of my old eel tank sump. And by complete I mean complete. Moved all snails and urchins to the other tank. Got rid of all the water. Tossed most of the macro algae. All of the sand. Scrubbing it all.

Unfortunately any fans of bristle worms may hate me because I killed a ton of them.
IMG_0724.jpeg
IMG_0723.jpeg
@Fish Styx please avert your eyes from this barehanded shenanigans.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back