YOU KNOW, IT'S LIKE THAT PART IN E.T.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You’ll have to forgive the dated reference, but I grew up in the 80's, and E.T. is what I always think about when I’m drawing this curious emotional connection.

I'm talking about that existisitential bond linking our corals health and happiness, to our own mental or physical state. You know just like in E.T. when our adorable alien friend is getting all sick and dying, and Elliot is experiencing the same thing through some cosmically anthropomorphic connection. Well I’m telling you this happens to me. When my coral is happy, I'm happy. No doubt about it. There's a spring in my step and a happy tune in my head. But when my coral seems off, or like something is wrong, my mood changes pretty dramatically. From slightly depressed to an all out frantic spell, almost like clockwork lol. Ask my wife, she'll tell you.

It’s not that my moods are directly dictated by the health of my tank inhabitants, and maybe a lot of this has to do with the fact that I’ve got a lot at stake, with regards to the health of my specimens now. Or at least that it's exacerbated to a degree I'll admit, but I'm telling you this goes back long before coral was a source of income for me. It's a connection that has somehow established itself as real, at least in my case. And OK OK, I know I’m not actually telepathically connected to my coral like in ET, but I can say for sure, that the health of my coral has a definite impact on my own mood. Good or bad, sometimes extreme, and other times negligible, but I can't deny that this connection exists.

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like Elliot sometimes?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
yep yep but we all gotta know does your finger glow when you touch your corals? haha

Ha! I was very curious to know how long it would take before we had another good reference! nice one. Believe it or not the title of this one was almost "Turn on your heart light?" but I had to quell that one.

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AWESOME REFERENCE!!!! I can definitely see this in my own day to day life. when glass and everything is clean and open I'm in a good mood that day if I have algae or something starting I can get irritable very easily.

Kevin11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my tank is looking good and corals are growing I think, "Man, you're pretty good at this." When the tank isn't doing well and I lose a coral I think, "Jesus, in thirty years you haven't learned anything in this hobby." Sometimes it's a love\hate relationship.
I with you on this one.

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting topic. I'm pretty new to this hobby, four months in.
I have to laugh at myself when I run home at lunch or throw everything down when I run in the door to check on my tank.
I recently added two new fish and a few corals and then had to be away overnight and I was stressed about it during the trip.
Getting into this, I never expected to get as attached to animals in a tank, but I love it!
And may or may not say hello to my fish sometimes.

As a side note, if you like E. T. You might consider checking out a show called Stranger Things. It's definitely an homage to E. T.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my tank is looking good and corals are growing I think, "Man, you're pretty good at this." When the tank isn't doing well and I lose a coral I think, "Jesus, in thirty years you haven't learned anything in this hobby." Sometimes it's a love\hate relationship.
Hahaha! I totally agree. Right now my tank is stable since this spring, tank is algae free, and for the first time in the 2 years of this tank I'm able to grow Chaeto in the sump for nutrient control. Fish and corals are healthy....life is good!
Oh, and about E.T., I'm sorry but I never found him cute at all. If I saw him coming out of my closet I'd squash him like a Cockroach. :)

Zagreus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great analogy I feel the same. Off point a little, I have a blueberry feilds that's dark brown and I keep waiting for him to wake up and for his heart light to glow and neck stretch so I can call home and fly around on a bicycle.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adam, I honestly didn't think you had times when your corals didn't look great. It's good to know sometimes it's happens to the best of us.

Last edited:

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This couldn't me more true. I totally get why so many people leave the hobby, it's a tough emotional roller coaster sometimes.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely agree with you here Adam. My wife can tell too haha.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adam - I read this paragraph to my wife !!! She laughed out so loudly as she was happy to discover - Not only her husband is crazy !
It happens to me all the time and not only with my acros but also my fishes .

I still remember lamenting and literally crying to my wife like a baby , screaming and shouting at any work other than my reef related when my precious BC Angelica was molested by my turbos and was let to die . Or when I lost the only Marginalis butterfly I could afford ever only to have it perish with bacterial infection in quarantine.

Am so glad that you brought up this topic as I always felt - am I the only one going crazy or does it affect every hard core reefer ? Good to know its a universal feeling and am NOT CRAZY yet . Or may be we are NOT NORMAL according to the rest of the society !

Regards,
Abhishek

1stNoel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we're going with dated Poltergeist references...here's my impression of me discovering my coral skeletons after a tank crash!

poltergeist.jpg

By the way, you can never go wrong with 80's references. I just used a Flash Gordon reference on another thread.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back