you like monsters ?

Beam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you like monsters .. I have this one in my 50 gals tank, it is about 1/8 of an inch wide, by .... very long. I know that bristleworms are usually '''good guys'' but at this size, should I try to get him out of the tank or if I let him live his life? IMG_3851.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3833 2.mov
    60.8 MB

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome! what are you feeding that guy? is it bothering anything? mine don't look that big even under the magnifying glass. I think they are a problem only if you think they are, but someone will give you a definitive answer. nice video too!

OP
OP
Beam

Beam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome! what are you feeding that guy? is it bothering anything? mine don't look that big even under the magnifying glass. I think they are a problem only if you think they are, but someone will give you a definitive answer. nice video too!

I feed it with one chicken a day :)

no jokes, I have a 17 year old reef, so he had all the time in the world to grow up, and as I'm not the one who '' overfeed '' he must be happy with leftovers

OP
OP
Beam

Beam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eurythoe complanata. These are basically the same as common bristleworm but can get larger. Technically a fireworm but not one that eats coral.

thanks for the real name, it's always interesting to know who we're dealing with. and no doubts about not eating the corals, I have never noticed anything wrong with my corals, everything is A1 on this side.

what surprises me the most is that I often look at my tank in the evening, and I never saw this guy before 2-3 weeks ago. ??

OP
OP
Beam

Beam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after doing some reading, i decided to try to remove it because it seems to be what's recommend when bristleworms reach this size.

so I built a trap with a bottle of coke, I cut the neck and put it in the bottle to make the trap. and I waited, and waited and waited, and finally it came out of its hole, at 1 o'clock in the morning, (i am working this morning....;Yawn) it took a while for him to find the entrance but he figure it out after a moment.

I was so surprised by its size, the bottle measures 5 inches, plus another 4in that ran along the rock. It means that this thing measured at leasts 10 inches probably more. As it did not fit fully into the bottle, the trap did not work as supposed.

I decided to take a long pliers and try to catch it, it worked, but partially. he cut in half. I think I have removed about a third of the monster. (see the photo) the other part contracted in the rock.
Does anyone know if the part that returned to the rock could heal and come back? or if it contracted because of the nerves and it died?

IMG_3854.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3853-appletv.mp4
    45.5 MB
Last edited:

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t see the video! Oh no, I was really interested to see this thing. But to answer your question, I do believe they will regenerate from a fragment if it’s decent size.

OP
OP
Beam

Beam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i re-post the video on a different format, maybe it will be ok ?
oh no don't tell me it will come back !!!! :eek:

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is a big one too, is this in your tank ?
This is my tank from like 3 years ago. I got wet live rock from ARC reef, and two of these monsters came with it. This was the smaller of the two, believe it or not. The one pictured here was easily over a foot long.

OP
OP
Beam

Beam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my tank from like 3 years ago. I got wet live rock from ARC reef, and two of these monsters came with it. This was the smaller of the two, believe it or not. The one pictured here was easily over a foot long.

I believe you without a doubt, because I suspect that the one I tried to catch yesterday is also almost 1 foot long to

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had a similar thing creep out of a rock I was using to set up a larger tank - it was in my 60 - easily over 6” long and about 1/2” wide . I used tongs and (disgustingly) twirled it out like pasta

took a look at my 60 and there are millions of babies - all over the glass, along the silicone , think I might have a problem

OP
OP
Beam

Beam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had a similar thing creep out of a rock I was using to set up a larger tank - it was in my 60 - easily over 6” long and about 1/2” wide . I used tongs and (disgustingly) twirled it out like pasta

took a look at my 60 and there are millions of babies - all over the glass, along the silicone , think I might have a problem
is this bristle worms or flat worms maybe ?

OP
OP
Beam

Beam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was definitely a bristle worm cause it got really ****** when I clamped on it and all the bristles flared out .

for the ''pasta'' one, no doubt that was a bristleworm, when I said flat worms, i was referring to the babies you were talking about

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back