You wake up 5 years from now. What does your tank look like?

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just a for fun question. Imagine your tank 5 years from now, how is it looking? Is it beaming with all sorts of new life? Did an algae outbreak take over the tank. Maybe you sold the tank off and got something even bigger! Curious to see what everyone says!

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just a for fun question. Imagine your tank 5 years from now, how is it looking? Is it beaming with all sorts of new life? Did an algae outbreak take over the tank. Maybe you sold the tank off and got something even bigger! Curious to see what everyone says!
I'll probably either have some of the most insane coral growth and 2 more tanks, or everything will be dead

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping to have my 120 full of acro colonies and beautiful fish. I'll finally feel accomplished as a reef keeper at this point, if I can make it there. It's currently only a month and a half in, but I can see it in now! Just gotta close my eyes and imagine. Only 260 water changes away...

I'm thinking my 40g aio will be rehomed at that point. But I'll keep it around until I can grow corals in my 120g. Managing two tanks has been more work than I anticipated. Mostly because spinning up the new tank is a lot of work. Maybe I'll keep it. I have a soft spot for my first tank. It could be a nice lps tank. I've even dabbled with the idea of turning it into a species specific tank. I'd really like to keep a jawfish one day.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been in a coma five years. The tank died after the first week. My muscles have severely atrophied, my wife has remarried, and my daughter doesn’t know me! My life is in shambles and you’re worried about a fish tank?!
Yes, that is the first thing I am checking when I come out of the coma.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'll play, coma/non-coma.

Coma: Wake up, go to check the tank because it's only been a day in my brain, don't see the tank, find note that everything sold for $100 if person would break down and remove.

Non-coma: Tank is broken down in a box. Office won pool lottery. Now have a 3,000 gallon mixed reef tank. Also, I'm broke.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm if I’m in a coma, the tank was sold by the wife for pennies on the dollar and her new craft station is in its place.

If it’s just 5 years later, the tank has been upgraded to a custom built system with near full automation

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably am not in the hobby anymore. If I am, I have a new set of acropora since I usually have to tear out and replace most of them every 3 years, or so. Some of my current tangs that are about 18 years old have probably passed on.

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tired of endless maintenance tasks, my wife opted for a simpler setup while I slept.

IMG_0791.jpeg

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After being asleep for 5 years, probably not so good. LOL

All joking aside, mine is about 9.5 years old now. All I do, all I can do, is keep trimming what's in there. I guess it would be the same in 5 years.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If nobody's been taking care of it for 5 years, it'll probably look something like this.

1692816810635.png

Lots of dried up crusty sand, lots of salt creep, and a bunch of dead coral skeletons in an empty tank. If I weren't taking care of it, who'd think to fill up the ATO? The return pump would probably break down when the water level in the sump got low enough, leaving the tank without any flow and letting evaporation do its thing.

If somebody has been topping it off and feeding? It'll probably be mostly Xenia.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve been in a coma five years. The tank died after the first week. My muscles have severely atrophied, my wife has remarried, and my daughter doesn’t know me! My life is in shambles and you’re worried about a fish tank?!
Most realistic and truthful answer!:face-with-tears-of-joy:

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is automated so that I can travel without worries. I do automatic water changes at small increments during the week. I still interact with the tank, but if I'm unable to, it's not a problem as my systems keep everything going and alert me if there is a problem. My corals have grown to the point that I do some limited dosing. I may have upgraded to a slightly bigger tank, but I still have an AIO and it's not a monster system. It's still mostly softies, but I might have an LPS or even a SPS near the top of the tank that I'm trying out.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back