Your “Barometer” SPS

Pete_the_Puma

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 7, 2017
Messages
236
Reaction score
338
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I remember over the years hearing some SPS gurus drop pearls of wisdom about certain corals behaving specific ways such as:

(these are just examples, I can’t remember the exact ones, these are likely incorrect)

“Plating Montipora will grow flat if it has enough light, scroll upwards if it needs more light”

“ORA Red Planet will only have red polyps if it has very high light”

or

“Bubblegum Montipora Digitata will only have crazy tip colors of the nitrates are 10ish”

So what are some of your pearls of wisdom about specific corals??
 
Ok so since posting this thread I have been reading a lot. Found one that seems to be generally accepted so here it is:

ORA red planet will be all red in high light, turn green at the base in lower light.

(Had it wrong in original post thought I remembered something about the polyps).

Surely we can come up with more!
 
My red planet growth was red with green base. Turned my lights up, now it's turning pink with green base?
 
Duncan corals. I know they ARE NOT SPS but I've really come to rely them as a pretty good canary so hopefully I don't see those white SPS! Also, I have a dragon fruit monti that I can use the vibrancy of it's color as a barometer. When it's color really pops the acros are doing better.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 4.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new