Your favorite Metal Halides for Acropora Growth and Coloration

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I get a pair of Radiums or Hamilton 20K?

Or Ushio 14K?

Hmmm…..
Well thats really a personal choice
Pick one they all work.
This is a 150de I am going to run on the nano.
This is a pic of the 20k which did not look much different than the 14k on my other nano about 7 years ago.
20200515_053117.jpg

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, with the left side out….and waiting for a bulb replacement I noticed that the RT side looks better. Better PE…corals look healthier in that light.

It’s also really funny that all the fish seem to swim around in the Halide light more than on the LT side. Almost like they know it’s brighter and more natural. Who knows.
Only the fish know for sure. I like it!

Acrononomus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved my 400w Radiums. I ran them on Lumenarc Mini reflectors. I think i used sunlight supply ballast, or galaxy ballasts. I also supplemented with VHO. I’m almost certain I’ll be using them on my new build. Also looking at the radion G6 or Kessil 500. After watching polos reef and seeing the reading of UV reading, im leaning more towrds the halides then ever.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved my 400w Radiums. I ran them on Lumenarc Mini reflectors. I think i used sunlight supply ballast, or galaxy ballasts. I also supplemented with VHO. I’m almost certain I’ll be using them on my new build. Also looking at the radion G6 or Kessil 500. After watching polos reef and seeing the reading of UV reading, im leaning more towrds the halides then ever.

Yep, a lot of people are switching back and this has got LED manufacturers nervous. So nervous that a new video that just surfaced. :)

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yep, a lot of people are switching back and this has got LED manufacturers nervous. So nervous that a new video that just surfaced. :)

LOL............gotta love it. I guess all of us that had MH for decades are now blind. HAHAHAHHAHAHHA

You stare at any bright light source long enough it's going to mess up your eyes.

SpSDrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

IMO this video makes the case to buy halides or T5s. They are showing tanks packed with lights are these "recipe" tanks. Pretty much ignore the spread area manufactures are telling you and just buy more lights. Is this true? Yes you need a lot of coverage, but its going to cost you more this way. If I had my hand in the pockets of everyone buying LEDS I would probably want you to buy more over priced lights too.

There is also nothing wrong with buying LEDS. They grow coral. Do you need a lot of them over the tank with an even spread? Yes. I had better luck with black boxes for this reason when I put 4 of them over a 4x2x1' tank.

The life of these LEDS fixtures and the degeneration they have over time is also a concern. I would much rather change a bulb every 9 months and be back to 100% for $65.

IMO halides are dead in the next 5 years anyways. The industry push for LEDs is too great and will only increase.

Last edited:

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Alot of people is relative. Led manufactures are not worried at all.
I still use hps for hydro but even some of the bulbs are limited now.
I am slowly converting to leds in this venue. Leds are not quite thier yet but so close its starting to close the door on mh and hps.

Leds have the future but halides will always be popular as long as they are around.

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And that is the way to lose further credibility, I've been telling people for years that these videos are entertainment value and if you need to follow, find those that have demonstrated and can illustrate long term success with real world results. In my almost 20 years there is not light source today, that can compete with a Radium bulb period.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And that is the way to lose further credibility, I've been telling people for years that these videos are entertainment value and if you need to follow, find those that have demonstrated and can illustrate long term success with real world results.
Well said my friend!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And that is the way to lose further credibility, I've been telling people for years that these videos are entertainment value and if you need to follow, find those that have demonstrated and can illustrate long term success with real world results. In my almost 20 years there is not light source today, that can compete with a Radium bulb period.
I did not read the last line.
After 30+ halide years I have all my systems on leds now.
I get good growth and color using Radions and 16hds on seperate systems.
Not quite as fast growth wise but close enough to call it good.
Only issue is you need more leds than most run for full coverage.
The radiums are awesome as I ran 14k for the look.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm sorry, but if you've been using halides for that long and had no idea of their spectral output, it's time for you to go back to your seat and let the adults teach the class. The glass on halides servers two different purposes, for the radiums he was using, it's to keep water from splashing on the bulbs and bursting into his tank. For double ended bulbs, it's to protect from UV. I really enjoyed the early BRS videos where they were talking about the fundamentals, but ever since the whole "hybrid" method and "test" tanks, they've lost me. Who is this guy and why is he talking about lighting he has no clue about? :rolleyes:

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm sorry, but if you've been using halides for that long and had no idea of their spectral output, it's time for you to go back to your seat and let the adults teach the class. The glass on halides servers two different purposes, for the radiums he was using, it's to keep water from splashing on the bulbs and bursting into his tank. For double ended bulbs, it's to protect from UV. I really enjoyed the early BRS videos where they were talking about the fundamentals, but ever since the whole "hybrid" method and "test" tanks, they've lost me. Who is this guy and why is he talking about lighting he has no clue about? :rolleyes:

That guy is me and halide manufacturers claimed for years the glass filtered UVB out

But you’re right, no clue what I’m talking about.

The last page is exactly why so many won’t share on the forums any longer. On both sides.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For those who can actually follow along and not trip over their hate, staring at a light source is always bad. Staring at one that is pumping dangerous amounts of UVB out is even worse.

If that point wasn’t clear, sorry. Time was limited.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Alot of people is relative. Led manufactures are not worried at all.
I still use hps for hydro but even some of the bulbs are limited now.
I am slowly converting to leds in this venue. Leds are not quite thier yet but so close its starting to close the door on mh and hps.

Leds have the future but halides will always be popular as long as they are around.

If people had any idea how few of halides are selling, they would never say they are gaining ground or “coming back” in any way. They are dead. Hamilton won’t be selling bulbs in a year. Reef Brite is trying to clear their inventory.

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are Metal Halides legal most everywhere? I was curious because from time to time various types of bulbs became controversial. Incandescent (less efficient) fluorescent bulbs (gas health hazard) and some decorative LEDs at one point were dated for phase out. I suppose some states committed and/or subjected themselves under "green" laws and cannot produce enough reliable energy meanwhile (emphasis hot weather conditions or heavy loads because of air conditioning). Lots of products offered online from automotive parts, paints, etc say not for sale or cannot be delivered everywhere (not 50 state legal).

LEDs slightly off topic because of reference to regular house bulbs are less reliable. LED bulbs by company branding claim to last thousands if not tens of thousands of hours. Perhaps LEDs are long lasting but inexpensive LED power supplies built into a regular house bulb often fail after tens of hours.

Possible to recycle home LED chipsets for DIY aquarium lights?

Last edited:

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A mogul base bulb is enclosed in a glass housing which filters UV

a DE halide does not have the same glass housing therefor “requires” the glass shield to filter UV

I’ve run DE bulbs with no filter and never noticed a difference

I don’t see how anyone can definitively say LED is not emitting light spectrum that damages retinas

I work on a lot of tanks for many years
yes, halide will get to my eyes but working under LED for extended periods of time leaves me seeing blue blurs for quite a while after I finish

either way my eyes are screwed

I should wear protective glasses

Last edited:

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if light companies may patent spectrums rather than bulb type?
If sound/frequency may be patented why not light signatures?

Last edited:

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No one that wants to run MH cares of the scare tactics or them not selling bulbs anymore

If one seriously wants to run MH for next 8-10 years he'll be smart enough to buy an extra ballast and 10-12 bulbs now.
---------------------------------------------------

Yeah, LEDs won't mess you up, just ask us, we've been on the Windex LED train for years
blue man group.jpg

All kidding aside I'm going to try LED for the first time on my newest setup....Orphek Icons as I want to see on my own. I've seen a handful of sps tanks under these in person and liked them

I still have my Lumenarc Reflectors and did consider running one in the center flanked by Orpheks.

And I also still will be running T5 on one tank......and may try a bank of bars on another or a mix.

Right now there's plenty of time to experiment, so it's all good

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 156 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back