Your favorite Metal Halides for Acropora Growth and Coloration

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving the 400w Radiums. Getting good growth and color from my Acros.

20230315_203828.jpg
Oh man, you need to add a chain to that structure so it doesn't fly away. LOL! Quite ingenious and powerful there. Please grow some Acros for me, brother!

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you talk more about this lol

My vornado is just put right there . Never thought it needed to be a certain degree , angle
Fan blowing between the fixtures and the water surface to take the heat transfer away from the system. If you point the fan directly towards the fixtures, or directly towards the water it isn't that efficient. Specially blowing towards the water surface because you will just increase evaporation.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which T5 bulbs are you using with your MH?

I'll be using Radium so I'm wondering if I should go with Blue plus only on 50/50 actinic/blue plus
I always use ATI Blue Plus bulbs with halides, no matter what halide bulb I have there. But that isn't any rule. You can use literally any T5 bulbs you want.

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t successfully have any colonies yet, but I think I finally figured it out and I’m getting some new frags this weekend to give it a try again.

I prepped my tank (6 foot tank) with a reefbrite 36”, two 400w halides, and 4 of the led strips.

I run 20k radium’s for 6 hours a day and the led strips for 13 hours. Even though the fixture is 36” and the tank 72”, I get 250-300 par in the corners of the tank and 600+ above the top half of the tank, and up to 800 par at the highest rock when everything is on. The par isn’t as high with the strips only, maybe 200 at the top and 80 in the corners. So I just put zoas in the corners.
When I was growing acros prior to me not having any for a bit (many issues, wrong measurements, wrong equipment, overheating the water, feeding too much, of course AEFW in the mix) I did have about 15 frags that where starting to encrust and develop some really cool intense coloration until I added a wild acro colony that infected everything. And this was with fluctuations in the tank, I’m excited to try again now that I’ve understood more about water chemistry and how to correctly balance these elements in the water. Especially nutrients, I never understood how to balance these but I finally did.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 72” x36”w x24”t
Bulbs I don’t have I’m going to buy, deciding if I went mogul or hqi now.
Ballast are all electronic I gotta pick them up and see.
pics below are the hqi
The 250-400 w moguls base are reef brite if I remember correctly.. I’m assuming reef brite ballast but could be wrong.
Are those HQI lumen max elite pendants? I tried hanging a pair of elites (mogul) over my 50x36x26 tank. They were high in PAR but you need to hang them very high to get spread. Good for heat but not so much for a tank in a living space with no canopy.

I ran the 36" Reefbrite hybrid and I was pretty surprised at the spread I got on my foot print, hung much lower. I believe around 10-12". I feel that 36" fixture (2 pendants) could light up to 5' easy. You'll have the ability to spread them out and I bet you could get pretty good coverage over the 6' with a conservative rock scape.

If I had to choose between those setups, I'd go reef bright all day. Better spread and the heat distribution is second to none. You can touch the housing with 250w after its been running for hours and not get burnt. Cant say the same for just minutes after the elites were burning. While still limited, you'll have a better selection of lamps with the mogul base in 250/400w choices.

I went with 2 x Cozumel Sun pendants since I came across them used. Coverage is even better due to them being much larger but probably a little less PAR. I haven't checked these or the RB PAR as it wasn't really needed. I'm running 250w with QuantaPro on my 26" deep tank. SPS top to bottom but I do supplement with the LEDS during the day as I feel I'm asking a lot of the 250ws in the Cozumel Suns. Heat is easily controlled by a fan. These pendants also run very cool. Last time I spoke with Dave he said more should come in July but I've also heard otherwise due to material supply issues. Reefbrite would be the next best bet.

You'll probably need a fan dedicated to blow across the surface.
Cozumel sun plus quantapros
FTS-5.jpg

ReefBrite 36" Hybrid - You can see by the wall it could due much more length. Needless to say that seat on the couch is mine, ha!
FTS MH.jpg

EDIT: I just noticed my phone clip on filter sitting on top of the Reefbrite pendant. So yeah....they don't get that hot :grinning-squinting-face:

Asthix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished my Hydra 26 MH Spectra !
20230316_230006.jpg

Heavy lift will be done by T5 +MH, LED are just there for the deep blue before it switches off and allow for some control to take pictures.

20230317_103148.jpg

I've used regular glass but i think based on how close the bulb is to the glass:
20230317_104520.jpg

Can't use the stock glass as it's 1" too long and i can't fit a hydra in the center but as it will cost several hundreds for tempered glass, i may not have the choice ...

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed my phone clip on filter sitting on top of the Reefbrite pendant. So yeah....they don't get that hot :grinning-squinting-face:

I left my darn iPhone up there the other day on accident. Thought for sure it was toast. It was fine. Even had a rubber case on it. These RB’s run much cooler than I thought, but they do transfer a little heat into the water, but nothing that can’t be easily managed.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230316_230006.jpg

Heavy lift will be done by T5 +MH, LED are just there for the deep blue before it switches off and allow for some control to take pictures.

20230317_103148.jpg

I've used regular glass but i think based on how close the bulb is to the glass:
20230317_104520.jpg

Can't use the stock glass as it's 1" too long and i can't fit a hydra in the center but as it will cost several hundreds for tempered glass, i may not have the choice ...

That’s gonna be a sweet setup. Hopefully you get some good PAR numbers. Might have to hang it low.

I wish ATI would come out with a PowerModule Hybrid like the DX18 where I could put my Halides in the middle.

Asthix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s gonna be a sweet setup. Hopefully you get some good PAR numbers. Might have to hang it low.

I wish ATI would come out with a PowerModule Hybrid like the DX18 where I could put my Halides in the middle.
The glass shattered under the halide so it's either 2 hydras only on the side but that's not enough blending for a 5' tank or removing everything and using a blue led bar but then aesthetics/ i do not really want to drill into the cover to mount them

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230316_230006.jpg

20230317_103148.jpg

20230317_104520.jpg

That’s pretty cool! I’m thinking about going the same route as I fab for a living and love diy lol… I’ve actually cut tempered glass as crazy as it sounds! It doesn’t always work but if you have extra glass you can try it.. mask it off real good with duct tape and use a small sand blaster and take your time and blast a line through it till you got 2 pieces.. I learned that trick a long time ago it takes awhile but it works for the most part..

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those HQI lumen max elite pendants? I tried hanging a pair of elites (mogul) over my 50x36x26 tank. They were high in PAR but you need to hang them very high to get spread. Good for heat but not so much for a tank in a living space with no canopy.

I ran the 36" Reefbrite hybrid and I was pretty surprised at the spread I got on my foot print, hung much lower. I believe around 10-12". I feel that 36" fixture (2 pendants) could light up to 5' easy. You'll have the ability to spread them out and I bet you could get pretty good coverage over the 6' with a conservative rock scape.

If I had to choose between those setups, I'd go reef bright all day. Better spread and the heat distribution is second to none. You can touch the housing with 250w after its been running for hours and not get burnt. Cant say the same for just minutes after the elites were burning. While still limited, you'll have a better selection of lamps with the mogul base in 250/400w choices.

I went with 2 x Cozumel Sun pendants since I came across them used. Coverage is even better due to them being much larger but probably a little less PAR. I haven't checked these or the RB PAR as it wasn't really needed. I'm running 250w with QuantaPro on my 26" deep tank. SPS top to bottom but I do supplement with the LEDS during the day as I feel I'm asking a lot of the 250ws in the Cozumel Suns. Heat is easily controlled by a fan. These pendants also run very cool. Last time I spoke with Dave he said more should come in July but I've also heard otherwise due to material supply issues. Reefbrite would be the next best bet.

You'll probably need a fan dedicated to blow across the surface.
Cozumel sun plus quantapros
FTS-5.jpg

ReefBrite 36" Hybrid - You can see by the wall it could due much more length. Needless to say that seat on the couch is mine, ha!
FTS MH.jpg

EDIT: I just noticed my phone clip on filter sitting on top of the Reefbrite pendant. So yeah....they don't get that hot :grinning-squinting-face:
I’m most likely going the mogul route cause there’s better bulb choices.. I will have 2 either 250 or 400w and 3 xr15 radions over the tank and a Xho pretty much the full length.. the tank has a euro so I don’t feel 72” of light is warranted. 60” should be plenty.

image.jpg

Asthix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s pretty cool! I’m thinking about going the same route as I fab for a living and love diy lol… I’ve actually cut tempered glass as crazy as it sounds! It doesn’t always work but if you have extra glass you can try it.. mask it off real good with duct tape and use a small sand blaster and take your time and blast a line through it till you got 2 pieces.. I learned that trick a long time ago it takes awhile but it works for the most part..
I just need an extra inch, that's really unfortunate right?!
I don't have no spare glass and sand blaster...

I really don't know what to do, maybe I should cut and make a notch in the nice side cover to let the Hydra hang out by 0.5" each side?

For the curious one about the heat, as it's the main concern for the led :
FLIR_20230317_015044_651.jpg

Not that bad with everything on and at max power !
I did add 3*92mm fan with a dc-dc converter to be able to adjust the voltage if i have the possibility to make the already quiet fan, quieter

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must have a dedicated circuit for these bad boys to be running electricity.

Very nice setup!

Yes, I have a dedicated 30amp circuit running the lights and MP60s. The halides alone pull around 12 amps. Total is somewhere around 24 amps.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just need an extra inch, that's really unfortunate right?!
I don't have no spare glass and sand blaster...

I really don't know what to do, maybe I should cut and make a notch in the nice side cover to let the Hydra hang out by 0.5" each side?

For the curious one about the heat, as it's the main concern for the led :
FLIR_20230317_015044_651.jpg

Not that bad with everything on and at max power !
I did add 3*92mm fan with a dc-dc converter to be able to adjust the voltage if i have the possibility to make the already quiet fan, quieter
I’m sure you can get some laminated glass from a shop at a decent price.. it’s only acting as a splash shield on a mogul base bulb and nothing else..

Asthix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure you can get some laminated glass from a shop at a decent price.. it’s only acting as a splash shield on a mogul base bulb and nothing else..
Why laminated?
I was looking at only tempered glass but that can't be made here with 3mm from all the glass shop I've called.
I think 3mm laminate would be even harder to find and less transparent?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why laminated?
I was looking at only tempered glass but that can't be made here with 3mm from all the glass shop I've called.
I think 3mm laminate would be even harder to find and less transparent?
If it was to get wet and crack it holds it’s self together like a windshield in a car.. you can use regular glass but if it ever got splashed there’s a good chance it would break and fall in your tank.. tempered and laminated just holds the glass together in the event of a accident.. well tempered doesn’t but it will save you from sharp glass lol..

Asthix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was to get wet and crack it holds it’s self together like a windshield in a car.. you can use regular glass but if it ever got splashed there’s a good chance it would break and fall in your tank.. tempered and laminated just holds the glass together in the event of a accident.. well tempered doesn’t but it will save you from sharp glass lol..
I've never seen somebody mention laminated, in any case, can't find 3mm of that either...

Normal glass was installed as pictured before but after 10 minutes:
20230317_104520.jpg

I've called another glass shop that offered me 4mm tempered glass to which they thin out 1mm of the side to make it slides in, not sure if that will hold the tempering process but let's see

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen somebody mention laminated, in any case, can't find 3mm of that either...

Normal glass was installed as pictured before but after 10 minutes:
20230317_104520.jpg

I've called another glass shop that offered me 4mm tempered glass to which they thin out 1mm of the side to make it slides in, not sure if that will hold the tempering process but let's see
Should be fine as long as the glass doesn’t get splashed…

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back