Your favorite Metal Halides for Acropora Growth and Coloration

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think the T5 look dim because of the reflector design or is that we are used to LEDs?
I had T5 on single reflectors, they always looks dim due to the homogenous light.
The reflector is what drives those photons out of the fixture. it needs to have space and go around of the bulbs. That's why I love the ATI Sunpower for T5s. A great well maintained/clean reflector will give a huge amount of extra light. Same happens with halides, of course.
I'm not worried for the LEDs, as i said they aren't warm as they aren't touching the fixture.

What would be the longest photoperiod using halides if electricity or heat wasn't an issue?
Back in the day we used halides for 12 hours, no problem. IMO it's a waste of electricity. There is absolutely no necessity to use halides for that many hours. 6 hours max is already great, specially with T5 supplementation. I use halides for 4 to 5 hours a day max with the 4 X 54W T5s for about 9 hours total. That's plenty!

wrassie86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reflector is what drives those photons out of the fixture. it needs to have space and go around of the bulbs. That's why I love the ATI Sunpower for T5s. A great well maintained/clean reflector will give a huge amount of extra light. Same happens with halides, of course.

Back in the day we used halides for 12 hours, no problem. IMO it's a waste of electricity. There is absolutely no necessity to use halides for that many hours. 6 hours max is already great, specially with T5 supplementation. I use halides for 4 to 5 hours a day max with the 4 X 54W T5s for about 9 hours total. That's plenty!
4-5 hrs maybe for your tank, but don't forget this is an acro forum :) if I only ran 4 hrs my acro would be solid brown, but some can do it.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4-5 hrs maybe for your tank, but don't forget this is an acro forum :) if I only ran 4 hrs my acro would be solid brown, but some can do it.
People do it with supplementation, not halide only.
I've ran down to 2 hours of 2 X 250W 14K halides for my zoas with those 4 x 54W T5s for 9 hours. It's ll about the application.
We are referring to the Giesemann Spectra which has 2 X halides and 4 X T5s.
People need to understand that the DLI is what counts.
If application is correct and the DLI and distribution of the photons is perfect it can be done.
It is easier with more light in most cases. The nutrient relationship needs to be accordingly.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But yeah... if you want to use the halides for 12 hours and spend that much money for electricity, why not? Prepare to have a plan of trimming more often too. Nothing wrong with practicing that "reefer's code".
Gotta love Acros!

wrassie86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ran down to 2 hours of 2 X 250W 14K halides for my zoas with those 4 x 54W T5s for 9 hours. It's ll about the application.
If application is correct and the DLI and distribution of the photons is perfect it can be done.
It is easier with more light in most cases. The nutrient relationship needs to be accordingly.
On that giesemann are 2 of the t5 bulbs mounted in one reflector?

SpSDrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Has anyone ran the ushio 14ks on the reefbrite ballast? Trying to compare these to the hamitlon 14ks

cboltsd01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If PAR is higher with DE vs SE, if you were given the choice, why DE is less common?

Here in Europe we can mostly find DE fixture, but I've found a Giesemann spectra for 100$ in good shape so I'll put 2 Radium using Lumatek in Super lumen mode and some led bar as it's a bit short 4' for a 5' tank
Will you be running the Radoum 250w with the Lumatek? Also, what setting does the Super Lumen represent, Hqi?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1B76C171-1CB3-471F-A2CD-6B84EEC53722.jpeg
E42F3B41-DB56-495F-BB78-5400F8B3A2F7.jpeg
716B1BB5-9F20-4E0D-B0EB-6DD1FFCDFF7F.jpeg
I’m currently running my 3 radions and reef brite bars for 10 hours a day and my 250w metal halides for 4 hours around noon.. seems to be working out well so far… I might bump the halides up to 6 hours we’ll see…

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently running my 3 radions and reef brite bars for 10 hours a day and my 250w metal halides for 4 hours around noon.. seems to be working out well so far… I might bump the halides up to 6 hours we’ll see…
You tank is still young, so the relationship between light and nutrients is still developing. I would say if the Acros are growing and looking healthy, the is no reason to change much. You might call for algae problems. Go slow. A well mature tanks with substantial amount of bioload (corals and fish) will accept a longer photoperiod much better than a young tank with frags and couple small fish. Looking good!

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've worked with Acro systems under 400W and 1000W bulbs and I'm not afraid of the energy. LOL! It's a matter of choice.
This below is for you to see that I'm not against having "too much light" from halides over a system LOL:
This is my zoa tank. I treat my zoas as they were getting the sunlight in the ocean. Plenty bioload though!

Another great example of a high energy system from the great times:
447 gallons, 3 HQIs of X 600W each.

So, yeah, you can give that extra energy to the system and have it as you want, no problem. Just grow that slowly, specially if the colonies came from lower PAR blue LED systems.

HALIDE POWER!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You tank is still young, so the relationship between light and nutrients is still developing. I would say if the Acros are growing and looking healthy, the is no reason to change much. You might call for algae problems. Go slow. A well mature tanks with substantial amount of bioload (corals and fish) will accept a longer photoperiod much better than a young tank with frags and couple small fish. Looking good!
Tanks a week and half old.. corals and rocks are very old and established.. no large colonies yet but yeah.. working on the fish load now! Got 14 in it so far and gonna load more!

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never going to use. They now are obsolete, and soon you will not even be able to buy a bulb. They also give off a lot of heat, not good in Texas. Furthermore, they cost a lot of money to run energy wise. They can easily add hundreds of dollars to one's power bill. I only use LED and T5 combination.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never going to use. They now are obsolete, and soon you will not even be able to buy a bulb. They also give off a lot of heat, not good in Texas. Furthermore, they cost a lot of money to run energy wise. They can easily add hundreds of dollars to one's power bill. I only use LED and T5 combination.
I’m not having any problems with heat.. a radion xr30 draws almost the same as 250w mh… a watt is a watt… I live in Vegas it’s hot! Never had issues unless they were in a canopy.. bulbs can be found cheap and always will be..

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never say never. LOL
I live in Hawaii and have to run a chiller no matter what... with halides, T5s, LEDs, no matter. I know guys in Florida, Texas, Arizona, etc... that won't go back to LEDs after they tried halides. Your priorities are different than the ones that run halides. The real full spectrum, intensity, distibution and delivery of photons is just amazing and can't be compared IMO. Above all is the results. Everyone is different and have different goals with their personal preferences. That's fine. This is a halide thread for those who like and use halides.

cboltsd01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they are now running with the Lumatek, 292W at the plug.
The super lumens is the HQI yes
So i picked up a Giesemann Spectra recently, and it came with Lumatek ballasts. I plan on running 20K Radiums and the ballasts are switchable from 250w to 400w and then has the Super Lumens position. Do you know if the Super Lumens is for the 250 or 400? Here is a pic, appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Attachments

• 20230406_073255.jpg
    20230406_073255.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 38

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i picked up a Giesemann Spectra recently, and it came with Lumatek ballasts. I plan on running 20K Radiums and the ballasts are switchable from 250w to 400w and then has the Super Lumens position. Do you know if the Super Lumens is for the 250 or 400? Here is a pic, appreciate any help anyone can provide.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back