Your favourite high light plating montipora

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So before we get into this here’s some background information on the tank;
This is an SPS dominant tank with the plan of a zoa wall on the back wall. Now I have the outlet that comes out of the tank quite far and as this is aiming for a top down view being the best view to look at the tank from, that outlet is a big of an eyesore.
I recently thought of an idea to hide the outlet and that idea is to have a shelf of plating Montipora over the outlet. I think it could work quite well the only downside is that this tank has a reef flare over it and it’s only 1’ deep. So my rock gets around 350 PAR whilst my sand gets around 300 PAR. My rockwork is around 6 inches tall whereas the outlet is around 2 inches below water level. So the outlet is getting around 400+ PAR (maybe closer to the 500-600 range). So I want monti that isn’t bleached by that high light.

Anyone got any ideas?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So before we get into this here’s some background information on the tank;
This is an SPS dominant tank with the plan of a zoa wall on the back wall. Now I have the outlet that comes out of the tank quite far and as this is aiming for a top down view being the best view to look at the tank from, that outlet is a big of an eyesore.
I recently thought of an idea to hide the outlet and that idea is to have a shelf of plating Montipora over the outlet. I think it could work quite well the only downside is that this tank has a reef flare over it and it’s only 1’ deep. So my rock gets around 350 PAR whilst my sand gets around 300 PAR. My rockwork is around 6 inches tall whereas the outlet is around 2 inches below water level. So the outlet is getting around 400+ PAR (maybe closer to the 500-600 range). So I want monti that isn’t bleached by that high light.

Anyone got any ideas?
You have an electrical outlet in the tank? LOL.
I think a picture here is worth a thousand words, I'm not sure what you mean by Outlet.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have an electrical outlet in the tank? LOL.
I think a picture here is worth a thousand words, I'm not sure what you mean by Outlet.
I mean the water outlet haha.
Here’s a few photos of where it is when looking at from top down as well as a photo of how low it is from the water level.
image.jpg

image.jpg

I do currently have a sunset monti that is thriving in the tank however it doesn’t appear to be a plating monti. Would love to hear your opinion on it though.

Last edited:

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean the water outlet haha.
Here’s a few photos of where it is when looking at from top down as well as a photo of how low it is from the water level.
image.jpg

image.jpg

I do currently have a sunset monti that is thriving in the tank however it doesn’t appear to be a plating monti. Would love to hear your opinion on it though.
The sunset Monti will plate if it runs out of rock/surface to grow on.
Here is a pic of my Mystic Sunset Monti. Clearly it ran out of rock and just started plating.
On a side note, you could always take out two segments of that lock line. Looking at how you got it it's just going straight so it won't make much of a difference.

20221108_192221.jpg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sunset Monti will plate if it runs out of rock/surface to grow on.
Here is a pic of my Mystic Sunset Monti. Clearly it ran out of rock and just started plating.
On a side note, you could always take out two segments of that lock line. Looking at how you got it it's just going straight so it won't make much of a difference.

20221108_192221.jpg
I’ve tried to take out some parts of it in the past but it refuses to detach so its at a point where I’ll either live with it or try to hide it some how and I’m all for more coral growing spots.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried to take out some parts of it in the past but it refuses to detach so its at a point where I’ll either live with it or try to hide it some how and I’m all for more coral growing spots.
The lock line? All you have to do is bend it. When it gets past the point of moving on the ball it just breaks free. They also actually make a tool for it. To put them together and take them apart. If you're worried about the bulkhead with bending it to snap it off put a pair of pliers on that first one and use another pair of pliers to just bend it past that point you should pop right off.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lock line? All you have to do is bend it. When it gets past the point of moving on the ball it just breaks free. They also actually make a tool for it. To put them together and take them apart. If you're worried about the bulkhead with bending it to snap it off put a pair of pliers on that first one and use another pair of pliers to just bend it past that point you should pop right off.

16689526720601592019626284205944.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back