Your opinion please

What should I do?!

• Accept the 25% and replace the fish

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Dispute the issue? What’s your argument?

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Get over it!!

Votes: 11 84.6%

• Total voters

Dominic Prezwanski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I orded these fish online from a vendor I won’t mention yet.

I ordered a small/medium yellow tang and a medium Kole tang.

now when they arrived I found they were bigger than advertised. I rung the company and they apologized and said they would reimburse me for the fish after they received pictures.
Since receiving these pictures they said that they would only return 25% of the fish price cause they feel that the sizing is close enough.

What do you guys think?
What should I do moving forward?

I buy a certain size because of my tank size, keep them for a few years and donate the fish.

9115F85E-464F-4550-86F7-9D1B2F0ECF84.jpeg C8EB629F-407D-49F9-9864-53BF559DA034.jpeg

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you shouldn’t order fish that are to big for your tank then you wouldn’t have to move them or worry about the size of them.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’re talking 1/4” above what you ordered. I don’t see how a vendor is going to easily measure every fish they ship to even that level of precision without nearly stressing the fish to death before putting it in the box. They were pretty generous to refund 25% for fish that are probably worth more than what you paid for them IMO. Also as noted, why not just get fish that are appropriately sized for your tank or even better, get a bigger tank?

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having a hard time imagining a tank scenario that would be simultaneously appropriate for a 4 1/4" tang, yet somehow inappropriate for a 4 1/2" tang.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand.

Yellow tang ordered 3 1/4 max and actually received one at 3 1/2. Just a 1/4in difference far with in the human error margin.

Second tang also 1/4 in over the maximum for its range.

25% off is generous as they could have sold both of those as large fish and made more money. I get it you wanted small fish and watch them from but this is just too picky.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You got your moneys worth. Beautiful size as long theyre healthy.... they get my future business

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They both look within a 1/4" of advertised - sorry but I don't expect them to stress their livestock and put them on a ruler before packing (stressful enough). I've always considered livestock measurements an approximation.

It's like the person who tells the deli clerk to take a slice of ham off the scale that's reading 0.55lb and not 0.50lb

I'm also amazed you took the time to measure the fish over 1/4". That's some eyeballing there. Perhaps it was your expectations of the fish to be at the lower end of the range.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's like the person who tells the deli clerk to take a slice of ham off the scale that's reading 0.55lb and not 0.50lb

I am usually the one who tells them to throw that extra slice back in!

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I orded these fish online from a vendor I won’t mention yet.

I ordered a small/medium yellow tang and a medium Kole tang.

now when they arrived I found they were bigger than advertised. I rung the company and they apologized and said they would reimburse me for the fish after they received pictures.
Since receiving these pictures they said that they would only return 25% of the fish price cause they feel that the sizing is close enough.

What do you guys think?
What should I do moving forward?

I buy a certain size because of my tank size, keep them for a few years and donate the fish.

9115F85E-464F-4550-86F7-9D1B2F0ECF84.jpeg C8EB629F-407D-49F9-9864-53BF559DA034.jpeg
It’s my opinion and my wife’s opinion that an extra half inch or inch is a good thing,, bigger is better

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is my suggestion: realize that this Vendor disappointed you. accept their apology. Decide whether, if you were the vendor, you would have acted differently. Do you have any options for future purchases? If you knew that they were going to ship 'large' would you have ordered differently? Have you ordered from them in the past? If so, were you satisfied then?
If I am not satisfied, I mention it. If I don't like a service or product I find another vendor or ask more questions before I order the next time because I want to be sure we are on the same page. I like that you donate fish when they outgrow your tank. Maybe, after treatment, these can go to their next home right away and you can get what you truly want.

OP
OP
D

Dominic Prezwanski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. It’s the rationale I needed. Many good points and great analogies here.

I guess I expect too much sometimes.

I’ll finish the quarantine, mine and theirs! Hunt for some new fish when we all start venturing out again!

Thanks again!

OP
OP
D

Dominic Prezwanski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is my suggestion: realize that this Vendor disappointed you. accept their apology. Decide whether, if you were the vendor, you would have acted differently. Do you have any options for future purchases? If you knew that they were going to ship 'large' would you have ordered differently? Have you ordered from them in the past? If so, were you satisfied then?
If I am not satisfied, I mention it. If I don't like a service or product I find another vendor or ask more questions before I order the next time because I want to be sure we are on the same page. I like that you donate fish when they outgrow your tank. Maybe, after treatment, these can go to their next home right away and you can get what you truly want.

You’ve hit the nail on the head there, I was hoping for smaller in the first place.

This is my first and probably for a while longer the last time I’ll order fish online.

Had I known they would ship a“large” I would NOT have ordered them.

We’re in lock down now which spurred this move.

OP
OP
D

Dominic Prezwanski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whilst I have your attentions...

What do you think this is on the Kole...

As mentioned before I’m mid way through TTM and it’s just gone through it’s first 48hour prazi pro treatment.

E33ED3C7-F6B4-4DFB-8D88-B05B0387E926.jpeg

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ve hit the nail on the head there, I was hoping for smaller in the first place.

This is my first and probably for a while longer the last time I’ll order fish online.

Had I known they would ship a“large” I would NOT have ordered them.

We’re in lock down now which spurred this move.

One other note. If you prefer the lower end of the published size range, call them or include that in the notes section most etailers have on the order forms. This way the clerk fulfilling your order can select according, like in this case, 2 1/2" rather than the ones over 4"

I think most shops will let you know upfront if that can meet your request.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Whilst I have your attentions...

What do you think this is on the Kole...

As mentioned before I’m mid way through TTM and it’s just gone through it’s first 48hour prazi pro treatment.

E33ED3C7-F6B4-4DFB-8D88-B05B0387E926.jpeg
Looks like post injury. Should heal on its' own but melafix would also help heal

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 33 80.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.9%
Back